Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lupins

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Lupins

Postby Jade » May 24, 2008 4:51 pm

I love lupins and although they have been aphid magnets in the past, I succumbed to them again and bought some extremely healthy looking Russell Lupine plants at the garden centre. The "expert" there told me to use rhubarb tea on them. Has anyone else found this or anyother methods helpful with the aphid problem? Would the rhubarb tea also work on the leafhoppers on my Virginia Creeper?
First time on the site, couldn't find where to enter zone, so FYI I am in Calgary, somewhere between a 3A and 3B.
Thanks
Jade

Postby dlb » May 24, 2008 5:08 pm

Haven't tried it myself, but apparently the oxalic acid in rhubarb leaves works has insecticidal qualities. She didn't just dream it up. And yes, if it works for lupins, it will work for other plants as well.

Here is a recipe on the rhubarb compendium http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-uses.html

I've never had trouble with aphids on my lupins, but now that I've said that they'll probably be infested this year (sigh).

Dora
Who has to find homes for half a dozen lupin seedlings
dlb

Postby Jade » May 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Thanks for your views Dora, if it works next year I'll be begging for seedlings. That is if all the rain doesn't drown us first!
Jade

Postby dlb » May 24, 2008 6:01 pm

My clump of russell lupins comes back every year so if yours do well you shouldn't have to.

I planted a package of 'hummingbird mix' though - 1/2 seems to be lupins & the other half is unidentifiable.

Dora

An additional note on rain: We needed the moisture - I just wish we wouldn't get it all at once!
dlb

Return to Plant Talk