Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

CAMPANULA thyrsoides

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

CAMPANULA thyrsoides

Postby Melroche » May 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Does anybody have this guys in their garden? I got the seeds from garden's north, because it looked interesting. Excellent germination...I'm just curious as to how it behaves in the garden...suggestions...comments...?

This is what I know about it....

Zone 3 - Blooms Mid to Late Summer - 75cm tall

"Native to Austria and northern Yugoslavia. This monocarpic species forms a large, flat, narrow-leaved grayish rosette the first season, followed in its flowering year by a striking spike carrying yellowish-white clustered flowers. For the larger rock garden or as a vertical accent in a sunny, well-drained spot."

AND......what is "monocarpic"?

Mel :?:
Attachments
CAMPANULA thyrsoides.jpg
CAMPANULA thyrsoides
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 25, 2008 8:58 am

Monocarpic refers to the habit some plants have of blooming, setting seed, and then dying....it rather redefines the concept of "perennial".
The most "famous" plants that do this are the Blue Himalayan poppies.....one seems to be able to get around it in them by debudding the first flowering stalks.
Have no idea how this campanula behaves.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Melroche » May 25, 2008 9:07 am

Thank you Sharon. That's interesting. I guess I'll just wait and see if anybody has grown this particular variety...if not. I'll just plant one and see what happens...

Mel
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Return to Plant Talk