Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

GAS PLANT - I did it!!!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

GAS PLANT - I did it!!!

Postby Melroche » May 24, 2008 10:12 pm

Hi

I know a couple of you have gas plant - Eeyore for sure I think. I have been looking to find it and NOBODY has it or can get it for me. So I ordered seed. It was to be this big crazy ordeal to get the seeds to germinate - add this chemical, put them in the fridge for three months, out of the fridge and then back in or something crazy like that.

For the hell of it, I just planted them - no chemical - no prechill - nothing...and put them under my lights. CRAZY but I now have 4 "albus" and only one of the pink germinated - but I'm thrilled - I only needed/wanted one of each.

My question is - how long is it going to take these guys to become a decent size and flower for me...are we talking years? I know that they don't like to be moved, which is probably why you can't find them anywhere to buy them as a mature plant...are we talking years?

How slow..is "slow growing"?

Thanks,
Melissa
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 25, 2008 12:38 am

Mel,

Congratulations on your gas plant seedlings!

Where do you live? You should have been able to find one at a nursery; they are becoming less rare as they gain popularity. I have both the pink and the white. Depending on the growing conditions, your plants should bloom in 3-4 years. They do grow very slowly, but they are very low-maintenance plants as well. I have never had any problems with disease or pests on my plants; the only problem I have is that, when it is in full-bloom, the plant stems will fall over and thus require staking. My neighbor moved hers one year when it was fairly young and it survived, so I don't know how picky gas plants are about root disturbance. However, they aren't cheap, so maybe you don't want to take that chance...
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » May 25, 2008 1:47 am

That is thrilling! I don't know how long they will take to get to bloom size but 3 years sounds about right to me. I've got the Albus ands never had a problem with them falling over, in fact I find they are very strong stemmed, almost woody. I love it though! I'm sure you'll find room for 3 Albus! I sure would like another one.... Given what you said about germinating them I think I'll collect some seed in the fall.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk