Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

How do you best keep sod before laying?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

How do you best keep sod before laying?

Postby richard » May 25, 2008 10:44 am

Hi. A neighbour recently ordered too much sod for his landscaping and generously offered me his remainder. But my plans for laying it are necessarily later this summer -- certainly not now. Does anyone know how best to store the rolls of sod until I can get them laid? And any idea how long I might be able to keep the rolls "stored"?
If you've had experience with laying (and storing) sod, I's appreciate any advice. Richard Zone 3 (Calgary)
richard

Postby Jade » May 25, 2008 12:14 pm

With all this rain it should be pretty wet and heavy by now. If you keep it slightly moist, not drenched and cool you may be able to keep it for a short time, but I doubt if you can keep it viable and healthy for more than a few weeks AT THE MOST. We tried several years ago to keep sod and ended up with dead rolls. It will hate getting dried out or too hot.
Jade

Postby Eeyore » May 25, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm afraid Jade is right, it can be kept for a short while but not for an extended period of time.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk