Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Tree suckers

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Tree suckers

Postby Jade » May 25, 2008 12:05 pm

Does anyone have an answer to eliminating suckers on a Schubert Chokecherry tree. It was planted by the developer and is now 12 years old. It has suckered since being planted. I have tried: digging around it to "bring it up" in case it was planted too deep. Covering with more soil in case it was planted too high. covering base of tree with landscape fabric, then dirt, covering with mulch, digging down and cutting the suckers as far down as I could, placing heavy stones around base of tree. Nothing stops these things! They pushed the heavy rocks up, grew through everything else! The tree must stay and I am not willing to back down yet, but hate the suckers.
Jade

sucker sorrows

Postby richard » May 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Jade, Thanks for the info re: storing sod. Wish you had been able to tell me differently, but a check on Google after I posted the question turned up similar info. As to your sucker question, I too have a Schubert chokecherry with the same problem, altho I'm sure my tree is over 25-30 years old. A couple of years ago, I posted the same question as you. I got back a very informed and helpful response from someone who had grown up around these trees. The news was not good. So knowing I don't seem to stand a chance doing anything other than cutting back the suckers twice a year (or living with them, I suppose), I've accepted my lot in life and spend the time moving aside the landscaping rocks, cutting back the suckers, and putting the landscaping rocks back in place! Like you, I've tried landscaping cloth, then the rocks -- but the informed post I received on this forum made me give it up and just start cutting! Richard in Calgary (3)
richard

Postby countrychic » May 25, 2008 4:13 pm

Is that possibly what I have? I have an unnamed tree in my yard, sends up shoots all the time. I have also piled the soil up higher, added rocks and now planted a creeper around it to hide the suckers! lol
Only to have to now move the rocks, and try to cut the suckers in between the ground cover, lol

It is flowering now, long white 'pussy willow' shaped flowers. So pretty. Later on it gets red berries.
countrychic

Postby Jade » May 25, 2008 9:05 pm

There are a number of trees that will sucker. I'm not sure from your description that you also have a Schubert though. They are blooming now in Calgary with white flowers and the leaves are green. As the season goes on, the leaves turn a dark purple. The berries also are dark, almost black. I love it because it changes through the season, and the birds like the berries, I just don't like the suckers.
Thanks for your response Richard, I guess I will just have to accept it like you have. Oh well, another excuse to be outside!
Jade

Return to Plant Talk