Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Blue Moon Kentucky Wisteria

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Blue Moon Kentucky Wisteria

Postby smoon » May 07, 2009 7:33 pm

I just purchased a Blue Moon Kentucky Wisteria and live just south of Edmonton, AB which is a zone 3 or zone 4. It is supposedly hardy to our area. I am planning to plant it beside my garage which is facing NE. It is mostly sunny and my tulips are always up way early in the spring in that same area. My question is for anyone who has planted this and is there any special technique that I should use, what fertilizer etc. I have tried to plant clematis in this same location with no luck - not sure if these two plants are similar but any help would be appreciated. Thks
smoon

Re: Blue Moon Kentucky Wisteria

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I live in Edmonton and I want this one too but I need hubby to build me an arbour. According to what I've read it should be planted in a protected area.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » May 07, 2009 10:49 pm

The only input I have is that wisteria apparently does NOT like to be fertilized.
I wish you good luck.
I planted a wisteria, did all the right things, (I think), and never got a bloom in 12 years! :cry:
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lulu » May 08, 2009 6:47 am

No luck here, either, in zone 4a/b, 12 or 15 years late; dies back every year, and comes up the next,,and still have never seen a bloom.

I did get the Blue Moon last year,,just twigs though,,no sign of life yet,,but keeping my fingers crossed. I do know they like a lot of sun.

Good luck with yours!
Lulu

Postby TerryR » Nov 14, 2009 10:40 pm

smoon, 'Blue Moon' wisteria should be planted in as sunny and hot of a position as possible in our climate ... I'm afraid a NE aspect isn't the best. I'm nearby at Spruce Grove and have mine planted up against the sunny south side of my house. The plant has done well and I'm hoping it now winters well and gives some 2010 blooms. I'll report back.

Terry
TerryR

Postby TerryR » Oct 09, 2012 1:12 am

Okay, finally for an update. 'Blue Moon' wisteria is not hardy in Canadian zone 3 and must be coddled and protected in order to thrive ... though, the below photo links show of my success with this plant near Edmonton, Alberta. Wisteria grows late into the season and does not properly ripen off before frost ... though, I've overcome this by covering it on frosty nights late into the autumn and later dropping the vine down to the ground for winter and providing protection, mature hardened wood easily winters with a bit of peat moss and snow cover. The time and effort spent have yielded excellent results and expressions on the faces of visitors have been priceless, it’s our favorite of all plants here! The vine extends in two directions for a total length of 40 ft and expanding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/T ... G_5946.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/T ... G_5940.jpg
TerryR

Postby nickyn » Oct 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Wow, Terry R, that is a beautiful vine. You must have the touch with Wisteria (: I had my plant for 18 years. The foliage was beautiful, so thick that it covered my arbour & climbed up an overhanging tree - but never flowered. Finally after 18 years it died. I didn't do anything differently & the winter was the same as usual.
nickyn

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 11, 2012 5:23 pm

Holy smokes! That is gorgeous, and in Alberta, too. Who would have guessed a plant native to the U.S. South would thrive so far north? Nice job!!!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 11, 2012 5:27 pm

Here is a link to the Missouri Botanical Garden site and its description of 'Blue Moon' wisteria. Note the comments about soil requirements and the consequences of pruning.
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/c753/wisteria-macrostachya-blue-moon.aspx
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby TerryR » Oct 19, 2012 12:57 am

nickyn ... sorry that you lost your wisteria after it had grown so large. You might wish to consider 'Blue Moon', as it blooms at a very young age, mine actually arrived via mailorder with flowers upon it! This variety had been offered at several local greenhouses, though seems to no longer be easily obtainable here, likely due to lack of hardiness in zone 3 Canada.

Trish in Iowa ... thank you for the link, I enjoy reading as much as I can regarding the culture of wisteria. Yes, I think there are very few thriving wisterias in Alberta, mine only does so because of the pampering it receives. Growing this vine has been a learning lesson in progress, I prune it frequently and of course protect it from the rigours of my Alberta winters. Cold weather is fast approaching and today I had taken the plant down and snipped off the remaining yellowing foliage and now have it protected and snuggled in for the long winter ahead.
TerryR

Next

Return to Plant Talk