Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lily Problems

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Lily Problems

Postby Dee Fenton » Jul 24, 2009 7:24 am

I have been away and on my return i have not been too impressed with many of my Asiatic lilies. Something has been having a feast on them and I am beside myself. I had previously been successful with casablanca and an orange and another pale yellow Asiatic variety but there seems to have been a banquet of sorts and the plants have very little left of the leaves and the flower buds are mostly eaten away. I also had several martagon or turk's Cap lilies and they are in a similar predicament. My daylilies are doing well. Any suggestions out there?
Dee Fenton

Re: Lily Problems

Postby B_BQ » Jul 24, 2009 7:56 am

Dee:
Perhaps you could get this topic moved to another thread - this thread is usually for those folks who are having forum and/or computer problems.

More people are likely to see your request if it's in maybe Plant Talk, Garden Gallery, or even Over the Garden Fence,

I'm certainly no expert on lilies, but what you are describing could be the dreaded 'lily beetle'. They can strip a plant to nothing in a couple of days, and are extremely hard to get rid of, especially in these times of no pesticides.

If you look at the lilies you may see some of the red beetles, and underneath and in the soil, will be the 'offspring' which frankly looks like 'sh*t".

Maybe someone else will stumble on this and be able to help you by steering you in the right direction.

Good luck if it does turn out to be the red lily beetle.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Smitty » Jul 24, 2009 6:53 pm

it's definitley the lily beetle. you can hand pick and squish the beetles and the larvae but it'll be a big job. if you can get your hands on a potato dust with rotenone in it it works well at killing them.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Marion » Jul 27, 2009 6:40 pm

I discovered the lily beetles having a feast on my Asiatic lilies a couple of weeks ago. They had made quite a mess before I noticed. Thankfully, I only have 9 plants at the moment. I hand picked them dropping them into a small can of water to drown them. I checked in subsequent days and seems to have taken care of them. Some of my lilies have bloomed. It's been a few days since I've seen more than one or two beetles. I pick them right away.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world...Albert Einstein
Marion

Postby otnorot » Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm

No doubt about it you have the red lily beetle and their slugs.Your choice pick or spray,pick and you will get most of them,spray and you will get all of them (today).
Bill
otnorot

Postby Patyv » Aug 03, 2009 1:08 pm

I agree that this could be the dreaded lily beetle, however, I have had the same problem with my Asiatic lilies, and I suspect the culprit has four legs instead of six. We have had an explosion of rabbits in our area, and I am almost positive that they have been feasting on my lilies, my echinacea, a mallow, and false indigo. I saw an article about the lily beetle in Canadian Gardening and have been checking for them on a regular basis. I only found one, destroyed it and have not found anymore since.
By the way, if you have mini roses, watch out for chipmunks, as I have caught them snacking on the blooms. Does anyone have any suggestions for natural ways to discourage these furry little pests? Thanks.
Patyv

Return to Plant Talk