Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Anyone gardening in seaside Nova Scotia (newbie)

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Anyone gardening in seaside Nova Scotia (newbie)

Postby prairiebound » May 31, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi everyone!
I recently joined this site and this is my first post.
I moved to Cape Breton last fall from Saskatchewan and am completely out to lunch about gardening in this climate - we're on the west side of the island so get the crazy winds; also we can see the ocean from our window so maybe salt in the air is a factor too.
There wasn't a single bed in the yard so this is our first year creating flower & veg beds. Not much came with the house except some kind of sedum and a few struggling strawberry plants in the lawn!
I've heard the soil is acidic here and I've also heard that some plants can get salt burn near the ocean. I've planted some seeds so far - kale, basil, spinach, swiss chard, sweet peas, squash but only the kale is coming up. it's only been about a week and half though and it's been veeeery cold!
Anyway just wondered if there's anyone on the boards with experience near the ocean in NS or elsewhere!
prairiebound

Re: Anyone gardening in seaside Nova Scotia (newbie)

Postby Pansy » May 31, 2010 11:44 pm

I don't know a thing about gardening in the Cape....& I've never seen an Ocean,but thought

I'd welcome you to the Forum.Hang on a bit & I'm sure someone will come up with some info.

Good luck,sometimes experience is the best teacher,the things I remember most are the

mistakes I made & I'm still making them after 20 or more years. :lol:
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Sharon Bryson » Jun 01, 2010 9:40 am

moved to Cape Breton last fall from Saskatchewan and am completely out to lunch about gardening in this climate - we're on the west side of the island so get the crazy winds; also we can see the ocean from our window so maybe salt in the air is a factor too.

Hi:
Are you up along the Judique/ Pt. Hood/ Inverness way?
Wind is a definite factor!. The season should be a lot milder than you were used to in SK.
Soil acidity is also a given, but needn't be too much of a problem ... heaviness and rocks might be!
We garden near Antigonish, but are not on the water.
Feel welcome to contact us via our website (below) and even come for a visit should you be so inclined.
I think there is a local Garden Club in the Judique area, but haven't heard from them for some time.

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby prairiebound » Jun 02, 2010 8:20 am

Hi Sharon! We are just outside the park - and yes, as we've been digging our beds we've been finding lots and lots of stones...I've been filling in the holes in the driveway! :D We drive past Antigonish often as my husband's family is in Truro so I'll look you up! Maybe you could tell me, are there many plants that really don't do well in acidic soil? I was hoping to put in peonies, ferns, ribbon grass, bulbs, forsythia, burning bush, as well as annuals and the standard vegetables. I've been trying to peek at what people grow here but there seem to be alot of things I don't recognize.

And thanks Pansy for the welcome! Yes, I was most sad about leaving our last house due to the perennials (it was their 3rd year and they were going to be beautiful!)...now I'm starting again from scratch. Ah well.

I noticed yesterday that the swiss chard and spinach are coming up, yaaay! They're just tiny little shoots but there is hope. :D
prairiebound

Postby Sharon Bryson » Jun 02, 2010 9:35 am

Maybe you could tell me, are there many plants that really don't do well in acidic soil? I was hoping to put in peonies, ferns, ribbon grass, bulbs, forsythia, burning bush, as well as annuals and the standard vegetables.

There are actually very few plants that rebel against acidic soil.....we have naturally acidic soil here in our garden, but that is somewhat emeliorated with the continous addition of aged horse manure.
Granted there are some things which may do better than others, but it is usually the overall cultural practices rather than one element such as acidity.
We have never used lime.
We successfully grow too many things, and those you have mentioned(except for ribbon grass)

Please feel free to contact us if you wish to visit.
We are in the midst (early) of rhododendron and azalea season. We are planning to have an Open House(Garden?) the weekend of June 12-13. Everyone is welcome to drop by.

Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby mogirl » May 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi, we have moved from Saskatchewan also. Last year was the first year we planted a garden. I read your post and it was like I was writing it. We filled our holes in the driveway with the rocks from the garden also. lol. Were you successfull in planting a good garden? We had some luck with lettuce, green oinion, peas and green beans. The potatoes were good also. I wont plant corn again though. They were filled with earwigs. Cucumbers grow really well. Had soooo many. Also, my tomatoes produced quite well also.
mogirl

Postby Jersm » May 20, 2013 2:29 pm

I am over here in new brunswick Dieppe and well its not RIGHT on the coast but ive already started planting in early may some cold crops.

I have almost 100 bean bushes, carrots, turnip, parsnip, (still gona be a while) sweet peas, radishes
Jersm

Postby Knitwitch » May 24, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm in New Glasgow, on your way to Truro too! I was formerly in Quebec but before that on the South Shore in Newburne. I think you will find that your biggest challenge will be the wind in your area.
I'm a big fan of raised beds when it comes to vegetables unless I have the space to do a really big garden that includes potatoes etc. Then I'm fond of the Ruth Stout deep mulch method, mostly because I hate to weed. I find the soil in most of my Nova Scotia gardens has been prone to rocks and back breaking clay.
Welcome to NS and I hope your garden thrives!!!
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Return to Plant Talk