Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

New Northland Bluberry Tree!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

New Northland Bluberry Tree!

Postby mommyanjel » Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi everyone ! I am new to this site and was looking for some advice in my planting. I recently bought a Northland Blueberry and do not have the space in my back yard for it. I was wondering if i could keep it in a bigger pot than what it comes in.? Will it still grow and survive in a pot or does it have to be planted in the ground. I am new to this plant and would like to keep it strong for a few years. My family loves blueberry's so i know the fruit will be useful and fulfilling. Any advice would be great Thanks!
mommyanjel

Re: New Northland Bluberry Tree!

Postby B_BQ » Jun 09, 2010 5:08 pm

...and your zone is?

Not much will over-winter in a pot unless you're in the right zone.

I have no idea about a blueberry bush/shrub, or how big it gets.

Hope someone can come in with advice for you.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby fayella » Jun 09, 2010 5:41 pm

I agree that nothing will overwinter in a pot. I think the blueberry bush needs to be planted in a sheltered spot so it can grow it's roots. faye
fayella

Postby Ian66 » Jun 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Your Northland Blueberry is a hardy variety (zone 3) growing up to 5 feet......You can grow it in a larger pot in"acidic soil" for a year or two...but eventually it will become root bound and you will have to plant it out in the garden...... If you over winter it in the pot, you must insulate the pot to prevent the freeze-thaw cycle and keep the roots damp though the winter......

Ian
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk