Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Do you have any seed-starting tips to share?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Do you have any seed-starting tips to share?

Postby CG admin » Dec 13, 2011 12:49 pm

We're looking for some seed-starting tips to publish in our Annual (March) issue! Does anyone have some they'd like to share?
Thanks so much,
Tara
CG admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you have any seed-starting tips to share?

Postby A Closet Canuck » Dec 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't plant morning glory seeds directly in the garden because the seeds from the previous year's vines self-sow but do not come true to the color of the parent.

In the past, I was not successful with starting morning glory seeds in cell packs and pots. Scoring or knicking the seeds didnt' seem to help but soaking the seeds overnight in water heated initially to 110 degrees F led to success. Then the seeds were put into cell packs filled with potting soil and left on top of the fridge for warmth. Germination occurred within a matter of days and approximately 80% of the seeds germinated.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Dec 29, 2011 11:00 am

Do not leave the plastic covers on Jiffi's completely closed! That causes molding, even in the bone-dry Calgary. I have much more success having the covers slightly shifted for air flow.

If you are in Calgary do NOT start seedlings till May. The first two weeks of June are too cold and rainy to take young plants out, and we have wonderful fall. Also, the amount of sunlight will be much more appropriate. So start the seeds on May 1st, and you would have ready to go seedlings just when the garden is ready for them.

The direct seed in Calgary does great during the first week of June, since it gets the soak of the rains, and then the slow warm-up.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Lizcordysmum » Jan 31, 2012 1:22 am

IF you get bitten by the Brugmansia and Datura seed bug, then know that starting these seeds (in Jiffies) in your oven, with the LIGHT turned on, for months on end, REALLY works! I've done it for two years.

all you have to remember is not to turn the oven on to preheat at 400 degrees before removing these when you want to use your oven, ever!

It works, it works, it works!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Darrow » Feb 25, 2012 6:04 pm

I take about two to three plies of paper towel which are moistened and then place seeds like asters, tomatoes,etc., pretty well anything I desire on one half of the paper towels. Then, I fold the other half over and place the moistened paper towel on a plate of some sort which is kept in a warm place and check everyday to ensure that the towel is still moist. As the seeds germinate I use tweezers to pick the sprouted seeds up and then plant them in potting mix. Works for me. Don't have many problems with damp off this way I find.
Darrow

Postby ben01 » Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm

My tips to others: Do things slightly different then the way I do them.
ben01

Postby Dumbo » Mar 02, 2012 1:57 pm

ben01 wrote:My tips to others: Do things slightly different then the way I do them.

Maybe you should create a topic and list the things you have done? This way I'll know what not to do. :p
Dumbo

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

The heated tray from Canadian Tire prevented molding for me completely this year. Cool!
Elena Zimmerman

Postby angelinaottawa » Mar 17, 2012 10:14 am

Eggplant like it consistently warm. My previous attempt on heat vents and top of the fridge was uneven germination.

This year, I used Jiffy coil, a clam shell with humidity dome, and then heat mat. I can say 90% germination and I am pretty impress. Even ...and consistent heat, very important for eggplant. Here is the image of my baby seedlings, I remove the cover , since they are getting taller.

They are still under lights, and I presume I have to, until the hardening phase.

NOTE: The eggplant seed propagation is also describe in detail with pictures on my blog below.
Angelina

"A sustainable, eco-friendly community starts with you and me!"
My blog is at angelinayyz.blogspot.com
angelinaottawa

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Mar 22, 2012 9:37 am

I have to say I am floored by this heat mat thing. I have never seen seeds sprout the next day. I seeded basil a day before yesterday, and yesterday morning it popped out, and by the evening it is visible shoots. And absolutely no molding with the dome and extensive watering. Cool! Will be starting hot peppers in a couple of weeks.
Elena Zimmerman

Next

Return to Plant Talk