Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Russian Sage Question

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Russian Sage Question

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Has anyone here had experience with the perennial, Russian Sage? The reason I ask is I have 3 large Russian Sage in my gardens and I am having a hard time figuring where it would look the best.
The problem I am having with the Russian Sage is that it flops and looks quite messy. I tried planting it next to some other tall flowers and foilage but it still didn't look very good.

Unfortunately, if I can't figure out where to put them and what plants look the best around them, I am going to get rid of them....which would be a shame.

Please help me figure it out, especially what plants should be near-by.
Thank you :)
CdnChelsea

Re: Russian Sage Question

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Here is a picture of one Russian Sage in a garden:
It's the bluey-purple one in front.

IMG_0006.JPG

CdnChelsea

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jan 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Looks like it may be a bit taller than the phlox behind it. I would try switching the two and maybe the phlox would hold the sage more upright. If you thinking the phlox would hide your sage too much, maybe try the sage behind the yellow daisy-like perennial. If you don't want to move it, consider pinching it back a few times during the season which should limit it's height and therefore help with floppiness. HTH.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby orchidguy » Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

This is a plant that has done the same for me in the flowerbeds, but have found that when Perovskia atriplicifolia is grown in a drier and leaner soil, it tends to be "stockier" in it's growth habits, and doesn't tend to flop over. I think the richer soils encourage more stem and green vegetative growth, making it a bit more lanky. I've had one planted in leaner soil conditions for about 4 seasons now, and it has taken on a woodier growth habit much like a sub-shrub.
It's ferny foliage looks great amongst larger leaf plants such as salvia argentea, yucca, sedum telephium, or even hibiscus.
orchidguy

Postby CdnChelsea » Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Ohhhhh..............thank you, thank you, thank you............. :)

Scrapinthehat, I'm going to try pinching back one of the Russian Sages back like you suggested. Great idea! I think it might just work.

Then with the other 2, I am going to take Orchidguys' advice about moving them to a leaner soil garden. I have just the spot.
In fact, one of the Sages is from a leaner soil garden and it did stay compact.
Looks like I had it right the first time I planted it. Then :roll: I just had to move it to another garden I thought it would look nice in. I think us gardeners are never satisfied.. :lol:

CdnChelsea

Postby B_BQ » Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm pleased that CdChelsea asked this question. I too have a large floppy Russian Sage. Mine fortunately is at the back of the bed, but it does need staking. Most of the plants in front of it are quite low to the ground. I'm going to try the haircut method this year!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Northpine » Jan 24, 2012 12:05 am

I hope you find a way to keep it. It is so attractive. It won't winter for me so I had to give up on having it.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby orchidguy » Jan 24, 2012 12:40 am

Marie,
The Russian sage that was planted in the flowerbed in rich loamy soil, didn't make it here also, but have had no winter loss with the ones planted in leaner soil. I know they resent wet feet, and ranging from Afghanistan to Siberia in their natural habitat, are found in very dry, sandy soils. One other thing I've noticed with these plants growing in lean soil, is the leaves take on a more silvery quality then when grown in a richer medium.
Funny, but since growing my roses in leaner soil, I've never lost one to winterkill either.
orchidguy

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jan 25, 2012 11:18 am

As pointed out by others, Russian sage likes living "high, dry, and hungry". It is particularly hard to start from division because it is very easy to give it crown rot from overwatering.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby kelly_m » Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm

That is true!! My daughters orthodontist has it planted right in front of the parking lot!!! Hot...Dry....dirty....and it was planted as a stand alone plant! And it did!! did not get long and floppy at all!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Next

Return to Plant Talk