Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Grow Lights

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Grow Lights

Postby Dumbo » Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

So I got all my seeds in the mail. First time I order seeds. It came with a booklet with a section on grow lights.

They recommend:
-A system with shop lights (like what CFRASER7 and I have)
-One GE or Sylvania "grow light" (ie gro-lux) in one socket and a "soft white" in the other socket.

Their reasoning for this in the booklet:
Just "grow lights", like what I have, will stunt the growth of the new seedlings. Makes them short. This is overcome by using one grow-light and one soft-white.

Can't say I ever read this anywhere.

I'll try this when I plant the rest of my seeds around March and April and compare them to what grows now (if anything grows) with just the grow lights.

So once these things sprout I'll take pictures and then compare them in a month or so.
Dumbo

Postby CFRASER7 » Feb 15, 2012 10:29 am

Hmm one actual grow light eh? Well I think I'll stick with this for now but if I find my first set of seedlings being to short ill make the switch. I don't know if I'll be able to tell though. I'm so used to my seedlings being loooooong and leggy that I'll think they look normal :(

How much does one of these grow lights usually run?

Also, no seedlings yet for me, I check them daily and nightly :lol: I'm so impatient, I feel like a child!

Thanks again for the light info Dumbo.

-Christine
If you have time to read, you have time to weed
CFRASER7

Postby Dumbo » Feb 15, 2012 10:56 am

The Sylvania grow lights run about 9$, while the Philips grow light runs about 8$. I couldn't find the GE branded one.

But your setup should be good. It's the standard.

CFRASER7 wrote:Also, no seedlings yet for me, I check them daily and nightly :lol: I'm so impatient, I feel like a child!

lol, you too? Last night I had a coffee staring at my planted seeds. My wife says, "what are you doing"? I said I waiting for them to grow. She laughed at me.
Dumbo

Postby CFRASER7 » Feb 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Well that's not too bad of a price, for some reason I thought that since they are "special" that they would run up a higher tab than that.

Lol I can't say that I have drank a coffee and watched them, BUT if they weren't in my cold basement I might consider it...And yes me too! I am so eager for them to grow, even though I know they won't show for another week probably. Going to be a loooong week lol.

Thanks,
-Christine
CFRASER7

Postby Dumbo » Feb 16, 2012 12:47 am

The cat grass is coming up... and get this... it's bigger where I dropped a 1/4-inch of cinnamon. :p has to be a coincidence.

And some other things are coming up. I think it's one of the daisies. Not sure.
Dumbo

Postby CFRASER7 » Feb 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Hey that's great that you already have sprouts, when I checked yesturday I still have nothing... :cry:

And see maybe cinnamon DOES have magical properties, lol. I sprinkled it onto my peat pellets as well and when I open the lid, I get a whiff of hot soil and cinnamon, they don't compliment eachother well :shock:

I am hoping that when I check them tomorrow that I have some sprouts. Although I did plant seeds that can take up to 2 weeks to even show, so I'm going to have to find some patience somewhere.

How do you find they are growing? Are the lights doing there job?

-Christine
CFRASER7

Postby Dumbo » Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm

CFRASER7 wrote:How do you find they are growing? Are the lights doing there job?

Well it's hard to say. Cat grass grows like a weed. In 24-hrs they shot up a good 2.5-inches. I now have the other type of daisies that came up.

I never grew flowers before so I don't know what's normal and what isn't. All I know is that the seeds were little micro-specs and the plants are super tiny too. See pictures, I added a penny to the daisies so you can see how tiny they are.

Daisy.JPG
Daisy
Daisy.JPG (56.8 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

Cat_Grass.JPG
Cat Grass
Cat_Grass.JPG (53.57 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

The catnip and lavender haven't come up.

Anyhow this is all just basically to work out the bugs in it for when I start all my veggie seeds and herbs.

So I guess the lights are doing their job. How good though? I don't have a clue. But it works.
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Feb 18, 2012 2:26 pm

One of the lavenders came up this morning. The Munstead one.

So I have 2 other types of lavender, Sea-Holly and catnip that haven't budged yet.

Nothing fell over dead yet, but it's still early ;)
Dumbo

Postby Dumbo » Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Everything has come up now. Including the lavender that was supposed to take a month or more to germinate.

How about you, Christine? Any luck yet?
Dumbo

Postby CFRASER7 » Feb 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Well I got back yesturday from a short work trip and was hoping that while I was gone the seeds had magically sprouted, but...NOTHING. In fact theres a wee mold starting :(.

So I am DONE with the Jiffy peat pots, I had not had success with them before, thought I would give em another try, but nope there gone. I was thinking of picking up either the plastic black ones that you have there Dumbo, or the ones just like that except they are made out of peat or something, but you fill them with soil and then just plant them in the ground when the time comes.

I went to Lee Valley today (that store is like to toy store for an adult), I picked up this thing called the PotMaker, and you can make your own pots out of newspaper, and I thought it was neat so I picked it up.
Here's the link I found.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 4713,40757

I am hopeful that these little newspaper pots will work, I have no idea why nothing sprouted, I don't think that it was too warm, maybe to humid? Not really sure, all I can do is try again with different pots, and the soil I am going to use to start the seeds I picked up from a greenhouse, it's the same soil they use to start there seeds. And if that doesn't work, well then I just don't know what I will do! :x

It's good to see your seedlings doing so well Dumbo, the cat grass looks great, I should grow some just to see something sprout LOL! Have you switched one of the lights for a grow light?

I am about to make my little pots up, and I picked up some fresh seeds to try out. I'll get back with an update soon!

Thanks,
-Christine
CFRASER7

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk