Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 10, 2012 9:49 am

Saw two beetles yesterday when i had a moment to jump into the garden to plant a new hardy geranium in the rain, but didn't have a chance to dust yet with all the rains. I will do it tonight though.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby LWard » May 13, 2012 1:08 pm

I killed 3 of them yesterday. they were on my crocuses. they ate my last three lilies last year. I like the idea of talcum powder. I`ll give it a shot if I get any more lilies.
LWard

Postby mike in Ottawa » May 13, 2012 9:02 pm

I think we might be on to something with this talcum powder stuff, i still have seen a few beetles but way down from the past few years, and the lillies smell nice just like a baby's ***
mike in Ottawa

Postby thistle » May 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Soooo Happy, NO Lily Beetles so far after using the great Talcum Powder tip.I hate using toxins in my Garden but I always had to resort to the Big Guns to tackle my Beetle problem.I am really looking forward to getting some perfect Blooms this Year.
thistle

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 14, 2012 9:47 am

I generously coated the lilies, and the only 3 beetles I caught and squashed acted very lethargic, without the usual jumping about and hiding. So, it's working. They chewed up one or two of the coming up lilies, but I hope to save the rest of the gazillion that I have popping up everywhere. If it goes well this year, hurray, I will buy more next year! Lilies are in my top three, so when I was thwarted by the beetles, I was feeling really down. Here is to the new hope and the baby powder!

Am I crazy to move my vacation plans (under a different pretext) to August so I can babysit my lilies through the bloom?
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Eeyore » May 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Elena Zimmerman wrote:Am I crazy to move my vacation plans (under a different pretext) to August so I can babysit my lilies through the bloom?

Not in my books..... 8)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby thistle » May 14, 2012 3:57 pm

not in mine either.lol
thistle

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 14, 2012 4:13 pm

And my in-laws thought it was so nice of me to suggest that they come visit for Stampede :lol: Two birds with one stone! Or is it two hundred beetles?
Elena Zimmerman

Postby ForeverRose » May 16, 2012 4:21 pm

I just found an infestation of red lily beetles in my garden and my lilies are only a couple of inches high... i tried insecticide soap which seemed to kill the adults, but what about the eggs left behind?
ForeverRose

Postby agedgardener2 » May 16, 2012 8:25 pm

I had to replenish my supply of powder today.Rexall have pure Talc with just scent added....very reasonably priced too.I hope it works better than Shoppers'.Joy
agedgardener2

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk