Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby thistle » May 16, 2012 9:18 pm

agedgardener2 wrote:I had to replenish my supply of powder today.Rexall have pure Talc with just scent added....very reasonably priced too.I hope it works better than Shoppers'.Joy

I got a good sized container of Talc with just scent added at my local discount store for $2.00 and it is working!!! NO Beetles so far (touch Wood) I am doing the Happy dance.
thistle

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 17, 2012 10:07 am

Okay, you won't believe it. I keep applying talc, and killing beetles that i find. All the beetles I see are lethargic ad come in clasps of 2 or three. They are either hatching or migrate. Overall, i go for 2-3 days between the sightings of a new group of beetles.

But here is an alert for you: 2 days ago, all lilies were clean (and very powdered), but I found beetles munching on the checkered lilies on the woodland bed. Checkered are frita's rather than the true lilies, so I was surprised all the way to the shed to get the talc. Interestingly, they went for checkered lilies, but not for martagons/turkish caps just 2 feet away. So, Turkish caps are still the most unappealing lilies to the beetle.

Yesterday, I squashed a red pest on a tulip (but the tulip looked undamaged). Are they getting desperate or what?
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Eeyore » May 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Foreverose, try the talc on them or wipe the bottom of the leaves with a damp cloth. Tedious work but probably the only way to deal with the pests.

Joy - are you saying the Shoppers brand didn't work for you?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby agedgardener2 » May 17, 2012 2:22 pm

It may have killed some but when the sun came out today they were everywhere! I treated the to the pure talc from Rexall so we will see what happens.I'm not planting any new lilies yet.JOY
agedgardener2

Postby Eeyore » May 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I suspect you actually have to hit them with the talc and that it smothers them. If that is the case I suspect that it should work on the larvae too.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Elena Zimmerman » May 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Today I found one more beetle. That's the first one since mid-May. The lilies look healthy, green and absolutely clean!!! I gave them a light dusting just in case that one beetle was the beginning of a locust. But boy, I am so glad I did not dig and dump my lilies. Went as far as to browse lily nook, to see what my heart desires in the fall (I have a spot that needs two outstanding lilies for symmetry.... Very tempted to check garden centers to see if I catch an interesting bulb or two on sale at the 11th hour!

I am so glad someone thought about giving poor lilies a shot of baby powder!
Elena Zimmerman

Postby Clyde212 » May 31, 2012 11:15 pm

I have been "talcing" since 3 weeks ago. It is my Martagons that had it the worst. 3 plants and at least 6 lily beetles a day. Not one since I powered them. I found my first lily beetle since then on a Casablanca that I had not powered yet. They are all getting a dose tomorrow! Clyde
Montreal Zone 5a/b
Clyde212

Postby otnorot » Jun 04, 2012 7:52 am

I hand pick the little boogers then crush them,at this moment I can't find a one. I still check my lilies twice a day.
Bill
otnorot

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 04, 2012 10:49 am

Wow, Clyde, your beetles have a refined, expensive tastes in lilies. Mine always studiously avoided Martagons (thanks goodness!). I mean, they went after checkered lily, but not Martagons....

And, that one beetle was a single one!
Elena Zimmerman

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Bleep, bleep and triple bleep! I was out admiring my newly planted side garden and my hubby noticed these red beetles on all the lillies. As soon as he mentioned it, I remembered this thread and thought "Oh, please no!" But, of course, that's exactly what they are - lily beetles!

When we bought the house, they had asiatic lillies around the front and I liked them so much when they bloomed, I bought more last year (after they'd already flowered) and planted them all around the side garden. Every lily on the side garden has them.

I didn't see any on the pre-existing ones last year so have no idea where they came from. Could it be the extremely wet conditions we've had for the past 3 weeks maybe? I just thought of this b/c last time this year was definitely not this wet and I didn't have any. Course, I have more lillies this year...shrug. Who knows.

But, since I have cats that prowl my yard, my first stop after work is to the drug store for talcum power. Should I be aware of how to use it on the lillies? A good dusting that I have to repeat every so often? Bring my pail of soapy water out too...g'bye sucka's.

Wish me luck...sigh!

Thanks,
Jenn

p.s....should I be worried about the black tips? My neighbour says not to worry - they are just getting ready to bloom...?

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Ju ... directlink
HeelsDown

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk