Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby Smitty » Jul 26, 2012 1:05 pm

davefrombc wrote:Bit of trivia....Dandelions, and the bane of the west coast , blackberries, were both brought over by early settlers from Europe for food crops. Young dandelion leaves make a nutritious early season green, and the flowers can be used to make a wine.
Blackberries are also high on the "super food" scale, but are terribly invasive, have no natural enemies here, and a real pain to remove.. in more ways than one !

Rather than further hijack the lily thread, I edited this.
Yes , Salmon berries are edible, but rather blah, some say "insipid"

oh please hijack away dave.

I agree with Lyn.blueberries are yummy...dandelions..not so much

as for the Manitoba Maple..I do not know Lyn perhaps a quote from my granddaughter would suffice..."toopid?"
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jul 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Smitty wrote:oh please hijack away dave.

It's how we knoe you're one of us Dave. :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 02, 2012 3:39 pm

"Jenn..I prefer to shake potato dust on mine rather than just my fist."

Nice one smitty!

Thistle - so pretty! Now I kinda miss mine even more. Oh well. I replaced mine with Salvia Evolution. Quite pretty so far and no poop. LOL!

Manitoba Maple...no kidding! We lost a limb on ours a few months ago and I noticed on the weekend that it's already covered in sprouts!!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby thistle » Aug 07, 2012 10:52 pm

Peggy2296 wrote:thistle, your lilies are to die for! Simply stunning. How on earth did you manage to keep them so untouched by beetles?

Very tediously checking every Day, using Neem Oil,and dusting with Talcum Powder.I am super happy that they are still Beetle free,hope they stay that way.
thistle

Postby AdamB » Aug 08, 2012 3:53 am

Peggy2296 wrote:thistle, your lilies are to die for! Simply stunning. How on earth did you manage to keep them so untouched by beetles?

Yeah.. they look really healthy. Tell us how do you keep them away from lily pests?
AdamB

Postby AdamB » Aug 08, 2012 3:55 am

thistle wrote:

Very tediously checking every Day, using Neem Oil,and dusting with Talcum Powder.I am super happy that they are still Beetle free,hope they stay that way.

This answers my question... thanks thistle :lol:
AdamB

Postby cottage country bob » Aug 22, 2012 3:52 pm

have been told brewing a very very strong tea and then spraying on the leaves works really well. have not had any reason to try but can not see any harm in it
cottage country bob

Previous

Return to Plant Talk