Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby thistle » Jun 11, 2012 1:41 pm

I have only found one adult about two Weeks ago which I believe originated from someone else's Garden since I have been using Talc and checking diligently every Day.
My lilies are looking very healthy and have a lot of Buds and no leaf damage for the first time ever.I can't wait to see them in all their glory and to smell that wonderful scent again.
thistle

Postby Eeyore » Jun 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Got my finger crossed for you Carol!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Another day and no beetles...yay! It's raining...again...so I will re-apply the talc again. Knock on wood - seems to be working! A few of them are days away from blooming...I'm excited. I had red asiatic ones already and bought yellow and orange ones so should be colourful soon. :)

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby thistle » Jun 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Eeyore wrote:Got my finger crossed for you Carol!

Thank you Lyn,now if I could just find a solution fo Earwigs! Yuk!!! I hate those things and my Dahlias are showing signs of munchings.
thistle

Postby Smitty » Jun 12, 2012 7:11 am

sounds like the talc is working...good to know if they decide to ban rotenone here!!
I had a few beetles early in the spring..on the martagons first but a good dosing of potato dust left me beetle free until last week..lady across street told me she had them and I was out like a flock of turtles(as fast as I can move these days ) squished the 5 that I found I mating pair and 1 mating trio??no larvae. gave everything a dusting and haven't seen any since.

remember folks...you've killed yours but have the neighbours?? they will fly a long way.odd that they are adapting..when I first discovered them 5-6 years ago...they couldn't fly! little buggers
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby thistle » Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am

:shock: I have just noticed a Huge lily about to Bloom in my Neighbours Garden which was never there before,obviously a new aquisition.My Neighbour does not have a clue about Gardening never mind Lilies,looks like I will be very busy checking this
Year,my security bubble has just been burst :x
thistle

Postby Bark Biter » Jun 13, 2012 7:21 am

Great just seeing this thread. I lost all my lillies a few years back and have not replaced them due to my heartbreak.

Will watch this thread and then perhaps decide if I am going to put in a lilly garden for next year again.
"Some days are blonder than others"
Not a new user, just lost all my info from years ago when on here.
Bark Biter

Postby Scrapinthehat » Jun 13, 2012 10:47 am

I've been watching this thread too. Although I don't have lily beetle issues yet, it's probably only a matter of time. I wonder if talc works on anything else.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am

Nice to see you back Bark Biter. What was your previous user name? Tammy, I think it might. my suspicion is that it actually smothers the beetles because it is so fine. I wouldn't use it indescriminently as I suspect it will harm beneficial insects as well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Bark Biter » Jun 14, 2012 10:06 am

Eeyore wrote:Nice to see you back Bark Biter. What was your previous user name? Tammy, I think it might. my suspicion is that it actually smothers the beetles because it is so fine. I wouldn't use it indescriminently as I suspect it will harm beneficial insects as well.

Nope, not Tammy. Cannot remember my original username but it has been a few years since I have been on here.
"Some days are blonder than others"
Not a new user, just lost all my info from years ago when on here.
Bark Biter

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk