Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: For those of you dealing with Lily Beetle

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Still no adults and didn't see any larvae. But didn't get down and look under tonight...save that for the weekend. Good news is that they are all still growing and today I got my first bloom! A red one. Yay!

So, question? If I manage not to see anymore of any phase of the beetle this year, am I out of the woods? Or, will they be back next year too? Oh, and do they live all year long? As in, do I have to talc as long as they are about to and are flowering?

Just curious...I hadn't bargained for this amt of mtce when I bought them. Talc-ing them and and having white lillies in my pretty garden is starting to get to me.

Thanks....as always!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Smitty » Jun 16, 2012 7:21 am

you're never out of the woods where the beetle is concerned..they'll come in from the neighbours and they burrow into the ground for the winter.
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby Eeyore » Jun 16, 2012 8:33 pm

unfortunately Smitty is right. i keep my fingers crossed that i never see the buggers because if I do I'll have to phase out my lilies. I just don't have time for that kind of maintenance.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jun 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Smitty wrote:you're never out of the woods where the beetle is concerned..they'll come in from the neighbours and they burrow into the ground for the winter.

Isn't that why stores sell nematodes? To kill off the beetle pupa in fall and spring?
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jun 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Hmmm, I wonder if there are nematodes that would work with RLB..... If so I think someone would have discovered it by now.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jun 16, 2012 10:26 pm

They don't work with this bug? Only native beetles? If so, then buy insecticides from the states (since the effective ones are mostly banned in Canada), or live with it.

I'm the type to just let stuff be. I wouldn't waste a dime or any energy fighting a bug. Got better things to do than squish bugs.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Dumbo

Postby Eeyore » Jun 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Some people like their lilies enough and have the time to make that sacrifice Marc. Thankfully I have not had to deal with Lily Beetle and I hope I never do. I love my liles, they are my favorite flower but I would hesitate to use banned pesticides because they are indiscriminate and will kill off beneficial insects as well and possibly affect birds and other animals that visit my garden. Any plant that causes too much trouble or is prone to uncontrollable aphids or pests sees a very short life in my garden. I don't have time to deal with it and then it becomes work and not pleasure and I don't like work that much. :lol:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Dumbo » Jun 18, 2012 6:27 am

If this is the bug you are talking about:
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin ... Maladie=44

There is nothing much you can do, according to the Montreal Botanical Gardens. They say to squish them, just like people here are doing. There is no "green method" of dealing with them apparently.

You can search other bugs here:
http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin ... geursEN.do
The Botanical Gardens only gives "Green Methods" of getting rid of bugs.
Dumbo

Postby OGrubber » Jun 18, 2012 7:39 am

Good link Marc. Thanks. +1!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Dumbo » Jun 18, 2012 8:59 am

According to the Montreal Insectarium, http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/insectarium, the type of lily you plant is a factor in how much this bug will love you.
(link is french only: http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/insect ... hes&page=7)

Native lilies: this bug doesn't care for them much, will hate you, and move on to your next door neighbour if he has better pickings.

Asian lilies: Likes them more than native species.

European lilies: That's its lust. Will love you long time and move in forever.

I know some people are passionate about their flowers, but seems to me going native is the way to get rid of them. Otherwise, keep squishing.

Apparently, per the link, many people miss the bug when they go out to do some squishing. It covers itself in it's poop and it looks like a tiny piece of dirt on the leaf. The link says this is the bug protecting itself from either the sun or predators, If I understood it right.

Can anyone confirm the lily type they are finding this bug on (what region your lily is from that is)? Native? Asian? European? Curious if what the site says fits in with the bug-headache people here have.
Dumbo

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk