Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What is this tree and plant?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What is this tree and plant?

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi all,

Need some expert help again from y'all! I have these plants starting to grow in my flowerbeds - mostly in the shade garden and there are many. My neighbour thinks Solomon Seal, but I'm not sure.

The other one is a flowering tree that I nearly cut down last year. Until I got a whiff of it and saw the flowers. It smells so pretty and reminds me of something I just cannot put my finger on and it's driving me crazy! Could it be a lilac or related to one?

Thanks again all!
Jenn

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Ju ... directlink
HeelsDown

Re: What is this tree and plant?

Postby kelly_m » Jun 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Jenn...the first one is False Solomon's Seal....doesn't grow as tall nor as pretty IMHO

TYhe shrub...that's a Mock Orange!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Peggy2296 » Jun 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Hmmm..the first one looks exactly like a plant that pops up on my property. It's not something I ever planted and is in fact some sort of native plant or weed.
Peggy2296

Postby kelly_m » Jun 11, 2012 8:53 am

Yes..False Solomon's Seal is a native species....It's okay IMHO, but if you do want to get rid of it, t has a deep almost tap root, but I believe it's a rhizome?!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Wow, Mock Orange?? I'm SO happy now that I didn't hack it down last year!!! I love it...the smell, the look of the flowers. Everything! I may have to check back in and double check how to prune it. I read a bit about it and it seems to benefit from pruning and I'm quite sure it's been awhile since it had any. I'm okay with the height (it's about 25 ft maybe?), but anything to help it get fuller and more flowers, I'd be interested in.

I have to agree...so far the Solomon's Seal is not impressing me. I counted 16 of them among the front. See how I feel about them after I see one flower...then decide if they stay or go.

Uh...rhizomes?? Newbie here lol!
Thanks Kelly!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby kelly_m » Jun 11, 2012 10:11 pm

LOL! Rhizomes are a thick root system that new plants grow from....Think Quack grass....

False solomon seal has unimpressive flowers....not like the actual solomon's seal! LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Vendella01 » Jun 12, 2012 10:00 am

The first picture of the single stem I think is millet, I found them popping up all over, I left one, and by the time it was fully grown it had a thick stem in the center of millet seed. I think the birds drop these seeds.
Vendella01

Return to Plant Talk