Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Help me save my Sand Cherry tree!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Help me save my Sand Cherry tree!

Postby ccreight » Jun 12, 2012 10:18 am

Hi there, I'm not a very knowledgeable gardener and I'm hoping for some insite here. I recently noticed that my purple leaf sand cherry tree has attracted some very unsavoury type of flying insect - I've never seen these before. So upon taking a closer look at my tree, I noticed a lot of white and black "bumps" along the bark. Otherwise, the tree looks healthy and has been blooming. Anyone know what these are and if it's something I should be concerned about? How do I go about saving my tree? Thanks again so much for all your input!
Attachments
tree.jpg
ccreight

Re: Help me save my Sand Cherry tree!

Postby Eeyore » Jun 12, 2012 10:42 am

You've got scale, which is quite common. Scale is difficult to treat since it usually has a hard shell which resists predators. However it looks as though yours have not developed the hard shell yet and you may be able to control them with insecticidal soap or wiping them off with a gloved hand.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm

Aphids like sandcherries too...but the advice is the same.....insecticidal soap! Safer's is a good brand, but there are others out there...No worries. Easy to control.
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Ian66 » Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm

I agree that you have scales on your tree.....insecticidal soap will not kill them since the insect is being protected by a waxy shell....

Here is how to kill them and save your tree.....

Mix 40 parts water with 8 parts rubbing alcohol and 1 part dish soap.....spray the tree, making sure that you soak the scales well (do this on a cloudy day or when the sun is not intense) ....wait 15 to 20 minutes and wash the scales off with a garden hose at full force to dislodge the scales......
The alcohol melts the waxy coating of the scale and will allow the dish soap to penetrate and kill the scale.......you may have to repeat the spray procedure .....

This formula works very well on all scales especially on the large Magnolia scales.....

Ian
Ian66

Postby Heidi S » Jun 12, 2012 8:28 pm

I have had to use the rubbing alcohol treatment on my Phalenopsis orchids which came down with scale last fall. However, I scraped them off first, then sprayed the plants to kill any lurkers. That is a significant infestation you have on that sand cherry!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby ccreight » Jun 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks everyone for your input! I will try the alcohol mixture, scraping, thenmaybe I'll use the insecticidal soap at the end for good measure! I'll keep you posted!
ccreight

Postby Eeyore » Jun 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I would wait on the insecticidal soap. The alcohol mixture should kill of aphids too and using insecticidal soap after the alcohol would be doubling the dosages.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk