Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Trimming my Coffee plant.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Trimming my Coffee plant.

Postby pstrong » Jun 12, 2012 6:13 pm

I have been rescuing a coffee plant that I bought for my work, we decided to put it outside for the summer on our patio but when I went away for a week I came back to it's leaves sun burnt, wind sheered, and half of them missing, where we had placed it was not the best place since it was WAY to windy.

Anyways.

I took it home and have been growing it in my bedroom, and it's doing great! I am thinking of putting out with my Persian Lime, and see how it does.
But there is one thing that I cannot seem to find on google or anywhere, there are all these bare branches sticking out which ever way with no leaves on them I was just wondering, is there a way to maybe get these branches to have some regrowth? Or if I need too would it be safe to just trim them off?

Thanks!
pstrong

Re: Trimming my Coffee plant.

Postby Dumbo » Jun 12, 2012 7:06 pm

The only person I know of who grows coffee tree's here is, Dave.

A picture always helps if you can swing one.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby davefrombc » Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm

I found my coffee trees do best in bright light , but out of direct sun.. The ones I have that get west evening sun develop a lot of burnt leaves .. The leafless branches my regrow leaves, if they haven't dried out , but there is no problem trimming them off.
Here are a couple of pix of my coffee with berries.
DCP_0277.JPG

dcp_0039.jpg

I had some mice or rats get into the solarium and they stole the berries on me .. The critters did drop several of the beans in one of the planters and I have several coffee seedlings started there now . At the moment I just have a few berries developing on one of the trees.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby pstrong » Jun 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Wow, hope one day mine can look like that!

Yea the branches have dried out, I just checked, I guess I will just trim them off. Or maybe snip them half way and see if they regrow.

Thanks!
pstrong

Return to Plant Talk