Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Forest Tent Caterpillars!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Forest Tent Caterpillars!

Postby Heidi S » Jun 12, 2012 8:03 pm

The invasion is coming across the road from the park.... I dread to see what these darlings will do to my garden this time around. About 10 years ago we had such a horrific invasion of these horrible things they ate roses, potentilla, and every tree leaf we had.

The roads were covered in herds of them, requiring the city to sand the road to help cars stop sliding on them. If you stand quietly beside a tree that has been invaded, you can actually hear them munch! Gross, Gross, Gross!

I hate Caterpillars - especially by the millions!

Blech!

You can try using BT to kill them, or tanglefoot-type preparations to try and keep them from climbing the trees, but shrubs and flowers are very hard to protect.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: Forest Tent Caterpillars!

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Tent caterpillars give me the heebeegeebees, Heidi. I do remember reading that they follow a certain cycle, probably the ten years that you mentioned. I don't like how they hang from trees and land on your back, eww. Hope they don't do too much damage...
DonnaZn2SK

Return to Plant Talk