Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Forget-me-nots

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Forget-me-nots

Postby Northpine » Jun 12, 2012 10:48 pm

If you like a tidy low maintenance garden don't ever make the mistake of planting these. I spent the better part of the day pulling out barrels full of the stuff. It is everywhere, smothering everything in its path. I'm the stupid person responsible for planting it and letting it get so out of control. But it's pretty, and that's how it happened. :roll:
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Re: Forget-me-nots

Postby B_BQ » Jun 13, 2012 7:48 am

Been there, done that! But it is so pretty!
I'm having a little fight with columbines that have appeared everywhere! There was a small patch, an almost black variety, quite contained when we moved here, but now they're everywhere, including different coloured ones that were never here.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Laura » Jun 13, 2012 9:15 am

FMN is one of the things encroaching on me from the neighbor .... the others are mint and GOUTWEED ..... I prefer the FMN's I think.
Laura

Postby Northpine » Jun 13, 2012 9:25 am

They sneak up on you though. I thought I'd let them be because I was busy doing other things, but suddenly they were everywhere and they get quite tall. It was a big job pulling them all out. I decided I'm getting too old to deal with them every year. I must get more diligent about removing them.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby styric » Jun 13, 2012 10:56 am

I planted 12 of them and only one lived. I'll take some of yours? Or will I really regret this?
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby Northpine » Jun 13, 2012 11:27 am

I suspect there are different varieties. Whatever I have reseeds like mad.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
Northpine

Postby agedgardener2 » Jun 13, 2012 2:21 pm

I love Forget me nots.They come up and bloom in my garden every spring.When they finish blooming they are easy to pull out and go in the compost.My grandson helps and they are cleared out in an afternoon!I didn't get any good pictures this spring...I was ailing but here is one when the Fmn were past their best ....but they will be back next year without any help from me.I like that!JOY
Attachments
IMGP0470.JPG
agedgardener2

Postby CdnChelsea » Jun 13, 2012 5:39 pm

I am also a lover of Forget-me-nots. They are so delicate with a true shade of blue.

Like agedgardener said, they are easy to pull out. An added plus is they are bi-ennials and reseed themselves. First year they are green leafed little plants and the next year they bloom.

This weekend I will be taking out the last of the Forget-Me-Nots now that they have finished blooming.
The good thing is, there is lots of little green Forget-Me-Nots everywhere in the gardens. I will get to see another sea of blue next spring.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby Peggy2296 » Jun 14, 2012 1:57 pm

I do love my FMNs. They were one of only a few plants that survived the "Dark Ages" on my property, and I've always enjoyed seeing the little blue clouds they make.

I've often just cut or mowed them down when they finish blooming, since they look pretty ugly then, and sometimes gotten a second bloom from them.
Peggy2296

Return to Plant Talk