Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Give me replacement plant ideas pls!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Give me replacement plant ideas pls!

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Hello my favourite gardening folks!

So, for any of those following the lily beetle thread, you'll know that today I put up the white flag of surrender. The talc is working, but I'm just not into the work it requires to get ahead of the little buggers.

Once they bloom, I'm digging them up and tossing them. I'd love to hear any suggestions as to what I can replace (and if I should wait a period of time to do so), them with as I will have 8 empty spots after they are gone.

Requirements:
Partial shade - to full sun (gets afternoon sun)
Perennial
Colourful blooming - preferably June/July
PEST RESISTANT ( :lol: )

Thanks so much in advance!!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Give me replacement plant ideas pls!

Postby Eeyore » Jun 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Daylilies are a very good replacement. There are lots of varieties and they are pretty much pest free and indestructible!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby conniepr » Jun 19, 2012 8:52 am

Could you show us a picture of the area in question? Lots of things come to mind, but ... location, location, location.
conniepr

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 19, 2012 10:39 am

Sure! I'll take some pictures tonight when I get home from the barn (if it's not dark already) and put them up.

Lyn - daylillies....I've heard that they aren't actually lillies so that's a relief, but are there nice ones? I've only really seen the orange ones and the yellow ones that Tim's have in their drive thru's. I'm not overly fond of them mainly b/c they seem to be everywhere so would there be a more unique kind/colour??

Back tonight!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Eeyore » Jun 19, 2012 11:25 am

Absoluetly Jenn, there are over 50,000 variaties in every colour imaginable (except blue of course). Various bloomtimes, heights, sizes, ruffled edges, rounded edges, multicolours, pastels, bolds, doubles, singles, spider style.....

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/

This is just a sampling.

I'd like to see a photo of the area too. It may require something completely different.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Wow! 50,000 kinds! That's quite a selection. I did look at the site and found some really nice purple ones I liked.

However, take a look at the garden pictures and let me know what you all think might work there other than the asiatic lillies I currently have. Most of them are red....yellow ones are close to blooming too. Darn it all to heck...they are so pretty now that it makes it a tough decision.

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Pi ... directlink

Thanks!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby conniepr » Jun 20, 2012 8:00 am

Yep, day lillies would be good there. Peonies? Almost anything would look good there. My first thought when I saw the pictures were, something shorter would fit better (like day lillies). My later thoughts include, flowering time. Do you want something that will have more color throughout the summer season. That might take a little more thought. Rose bushes? You have room for something bushy.
conniepr

Postby Eeyore » Jun 20, 2012 10:15 am

You could always go with spireas or barberry for colour. They are lower and wouldn't block the plants in the back.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby HeelsDown » Jun 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi everyone!

I should have mentioned that the tree's at the back of the yard that you can see from the garden are black walnuts. We did have them pruned back so there isn't a drip line over the garden and they have taproots we are told, so it shouldn't be as bad as it was, but maybe something I should still keep in mind when planting.

Peonies seem nice. And, not something that everyone has. I'm late to the party and it seems everyone around me who gardens (and we have retired people on almost all sides so it's a lot!) already have the nice items haha! Like the barberry and spirea - everywhere already which is too bad, b/c I like both. But, would like to keep it unique if I can.

Colour would be fantastic! Especially, since I'm taking colour out if I remove the lillies. To the right of the garden, those two bushes are phlox - one will be pink and the other white. And, to the left of the garden beside the chair is snowberry. Anything that would start colour in mid-June on would be ideal.

Roses...hmmm. I've heard they are really hard to start and grow so never thought I was up to that sort of level yet. Is this false? True? Am I ready? LOL!

Thanks again all!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby conniepr » Jun 22, 2012 8:11 am

Roses can be difficult, but not all of them. Some are disease resistant and hardy. Do your research before buying. My dad bought two pretty small bushes 3 years ago from Walmart. When I looked at the tags, I realized they would grow very differently, so putting one each side of the stairs coming down off the deck wouldn't work. They did it anyways. One is growing out (wide) all over the place and won't fit the space next year, but otherwise is strong and healthy. The other is diseased (2 yrs in a row) and will be pulled out tomorrow.

Pasted from my research yesterday (found at http://www.canadianrosesociety.org):

Henry Hudson, Explorer Series
Henry Hudson, a rugosa hybrid introduced in 1976, is a semi-dwarf shrub that grows 0.5 - 0.7 m in height and has a diameter of 1.0 m at Ottawa. The plant is very hardy, flowers repeatedly and freely, and is highly resistant to blackspot and powdery mildew.
Flowers are white with a pink tinge resembling apple blossoms, are fragrant, and have 20 petals. Softwood cuttings are easily rooted.
Henry Hudson has been tested at Ottawa since 1967 and at other locations across Canada since 1973. Only slight winter kill was observed in Ottawa during severe winters. This rose is generally hardy in zone 2.
This cultivar was obtained from open pollination of the cultivar Schneezwerg.
conniepr

Next

Return to Plant Talk