Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Help me stop the neighbours invasive grass!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Help me stop the neighbours invasive grass!

Postby jaimeg » Jun 19, 2012 11:27 am

Hello Everyone,

I have a butterfly garden off our patio in the back yard along the fence we share with our Neighbours. They have a (unknown to me) variety of ornamental grass that is sending out runners under the fence and competing with my liatris.

Any ideas how to stop the runners at the fence line? I've been digging them up to no avail. I was thinking of burring something to create a physical block, any ideas? Maybe a line of bricks?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

J.
jaimeg

Re: Help me stop the neighbours invasive grass!

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am

The bricks won't work, you'll have even a harder job weeding between the bricks. You need some sort of impenetrable barrier, set deep enough so that runners cannot go underneath the fence. Wood products will rot, I'm thinking maybe plastic panels, but you need to check whether there are drainage issues. You don't want to impede the flow of water across your property if that is the direction it's supposed to go. There might be some initial cost involved, but you are saving yourself time in the future. Good luck.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby davefrombc » Jun 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Plastic lawn edging might go deep enough to be a barrier to the ornamental grass if it uses shallow runners
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby jaimeg » Jun 19, 2012 12:46 pm

hmm, the runners are right below the surface of the soil, not very deep. Maybe I'll try some landscape fabric tacked to the bottom of the fence and dig it down to about 6 inches. the fabric will let water flow through. Although there is no grade between the properties here, and it's not a long stretch of fence, so I'm not worried about water flow.

Thanks for the advice.
jaimeg

Postby davefrombc » Jun 19, 2012 12:58 pm

The lawn edging is often deep and rigid enough to stop bamboo roots from spreading so should be more than enough on the grasses.. I'm not sure the fabric would work as well. It is meant more to stop weed seeds from pushing their way up. I don't know how well it would work on stronger roots and rhizomes .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Countryboy » Jun 20, 2012 7:08 am

I'm with Dave. Landscaping fabric would have to be dug in... so would lawn edging... and to the same depth.

The lawn edging would stop runners from growing thru it... landscape fabric not so much.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby jaimeg » Jun 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. Lawn edging it is. I'll dig up what's invaded and then dig in some edging. Thanks for the helpful advice!

J.
jaimeg

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 30, 2012 10:54 pm

jaimeg wrote:Thanks for the advice. Lawn edging it is. I'll dig up what's invaded and then dig in some edging. Thanks for the helpful advice!

J.

You could also try bender board. Public gardens use a metal strip that works like plastic edging. The product I'm thinking of is from Trex, the artificial deck board people. It is designed for garden bed edging, it doesn't rot, it doesn't deteriorate from the sun like plastic and it doesn' crack. In my experience, it is available through Home Depot but does have to be special ordered. Don't let them tell you the regular Trex decking will work; the correct product is Trex bender board.

You might look at which product is the tallest so it will sit in the ground most deeply - rhizomatous grasses are pretty clever at getting around barriers.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk