Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Mystery Tree

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Mystery Tree

Postby Gothic3 » Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Several years ago this small tree just "appeared" and began growing in my friend's back yard. It is now about 12-14 feet hight and later in the season it has small dark berries. I assume that is a tree native to our area of SW Ontario since it was not purchased or planted. Does anyone have any idea what type of tree this might be?
thanks
Dave
Attachments
MystTree1.jpg
Gothic3

Re: Mystery Tree

Postby Eeyore » Jun 21, 2012 3:28 pm

It is most likely a prunus (cherry) of some sort but without a close-up of the leaves, bark and berries it's really hard to say for sure.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby OGrubber » Jun 21, 2012 4:20 pm

If this is what the leaves and berries of your tree look like, then it is a Buckthorn.
Tree_Buckthorn.jpg

Many consider it a weedy tree, but with a little stem pruning it makes for a nice shade tree since it grows fairly quickly. Just keep it out of your gardens if you don't want to be pulling seedlings all the time.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Jun 21, 2012 6:03 pm

If it is a prunus...cherry...it is considered a weed tree...probably a chokecherry from the sounds of little red berries....

They pop up from seeds....and halfway cross the neighbourhood up from the roots!! LOL
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby B_BQ » Jun 21, 2012 7:42 pm

I have those all over the place. I consider them to be weeds. They have black berries, which even the birds leave alone. You could try to cultivate it a little, trim unwanted branches, and keep an eye on it. I wouldn't give it the time of day personally.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ian66 » Jun 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Looking at a close up of the leaves, it is not a buckthorn or prunus.....the leaves look more like a mulberry.....If you could take a close up of the leaves and/or berries...then a positive ID can be made....

Does the leaves/fruit look like the ones in the website?

http://www.suekayton.com/Silkworms/leaves.htm

Ian
Ian66

Postby B_BQ » Jun 22, 2012 9:52 am

I think the tree you have looks like a common buckthorn. As I mentioned, I have several of these weed trees on a wild part of my garden. They're a nuisance, have thorns, and even the birds don't bother with the berries. I tasted a berry once - it was awful! I can see keeping one, keeping it in check, but you will have a problem with new seedlings constantly.

I just went a took a picture of one of several in my garden. They're not at all in the way, so I'm leaving them for privacy concerns. The berries are green now but will get quite dark, almost like a small blueberry, in a few weeks time.

I tried to get a good pic of the leaves for you.

~BBQ
DSC_0002.jpeg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Gothic3 » Jun 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for all of the informative replies; I'll try to post a close-up of the leaves.So far I think it might be a prunus since there are no thorns.
Dave
Gothic3

Postby Gothic3 » Jun 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Here's a closeup of the leaves; hopefully this will help with identifying it.
thanks again for the help
Dave
ps: If you click on the pic it shows it in much more detail
Attachments
MystTreeLeafClose.jpg
Gothic3

Postby Ian66 » Jun 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Looking again at the close up, you will see major indentations on the leaf margins which rule out both buckthorn and all prunus........
I still feel that you have a mulberry.....

Ian
Ian66

Next

Return to Plant Talk