Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

My wonderful Dephinium needs more space

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

My wonderful Dephinium needs more space

Postby Heidi S » Jun 25, 2012 2:42 pm

but I am loath to move it, since I have heard they are difficult to transplant. It is being crowded out by a lilac and a rose, and needs open space. I have a spot that has been vacated by a ninebark, about 4 ft away from where the delph currently sits, but am scared to contemplate it.

The plant is about to blooms, so she will stay where she is for now, but can I dig it up, divide it and move in early fall or am I asking for trouble?
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: My wonderful Dephinium needs more space

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Heidi, I did it numerous times in the fall, and with good results. Last year I moved 5 delphiniums from the front bed to the back-yard (there was a wind tunnel in the front that broke off the stalks while they were blooming) and only one did not come back, and I did not do it gently at all - my principle is that if the plant has the will to live, it will live, and if it doesn't no amount of coddling is gonna fix it). And that's 1 year after bringing them over from across the city from the old house. Honestly, the wee ones I bought from CT for a buck has a far worse survival rate than the big ones. Well, the big ones were once the small ones, I bought for a buck from the CT... plus a couple I tried from seed.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby conniepr » Jun 26, 2012 8:23 am

I split up delphiniums last Spring. The transplant took, but they struggled and flowered later than the section I didn't move. This Spring the transplant is doing just fine. It might be good to wait until it's finished flowering and then move it. I wouldn't want to wait until too late in the year, so the roots have time to be good and strong before winter.
conniepr

Postby Heidi S » Jun 26, 2012 11:20 am

Ok, ladies, I will wait until the flowers finish - the spikes are still growing up and the buds haven't fattened up completely yet. If I give her a haircut and chop her in half, I have spots for both chunks. I think you said it, Conniepr, do it earlier to give time for the roots to re-establish. This is a glorious specimen and she is just too close to the lilac that has gotten much bigger at the same time. It all looked in scale 5 years ago!

Thanks for the advice...

IMG_7631.jpg
Delphinium 2011
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby conniepr » Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I love my delphiniums too, but they sure are succeptible to mites, catipellar/worms and aphids. It's a constant struggle. But, I wouldn't get rid of them!
2010-07-08 existing flowerbeds 013.jpg

It seems I don't have a picture of the ones along the fence that I split up last year, but I do have this pic from 2010. Not sure if these ones are larkspur or not, but I suspect they are.
conniepr

Postby Heidi S » Jun 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Gee the only pests I have bothering my delph are delphinium worms early in the season. A friend gave me a trick that has worked well (especially the one I am talking about). When the plant is about 4-6 inches tall in early spring, cut the foliage down completely to the ground. This removes the food source for the worm, and they starve. The plant recommences growing and the worms are gone. I haven't had a problem since.

Although I get aphids on the purple leaf sand cherry nearby, they have never gone after my delph, and let's keep it that way!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Heidi S

Postby conniepr » Jun 26, 2012 6:40 pm

I'll have to try that. Thanks. For the mites, I've learned to spray them right way when they're still only a few inches off the ground, then every five days, and then remove the leaves that are too close to the ground (just learning these things this year). The aphids are a huge problem this year, maybe because of all the moisture in the air that we're not used to. Any leaf not sprayed with chemicals once every 5 days gets so loaded with aphids that the whole backside is covered 100%, weighted down with it, then the leaf gets black, mushy and rotten. I've taken to going over to the plants once a day and turning leaf by leaf over and smoothing my fingers down over the back sides of the leaves to kill any larvae or adults present. It's a yucky thing to do and very time consuming as, after splitting three bunches last year, I now have six bunches of delphiniums. I lost a whole set to the mites this Spring and had to cut that one down to the ground and spray chemical every where. :cry: Even the new sprouts keep coming up black so that bunch will not produce anthing this year. I sure hope it comes back next Spring, because that one was a transplant taken from the garage side (the one I think might actually be larkspur, not delphiniums), yet the mother plant is doing fine now after the initial sprayings earlier this Spring.
conniepr

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 28, 2012 11:32 am

Hi ladies, would you know what cause the delphiniums to have very slow growth and look sort of brownish dust covered? One of mine was suffering this in the spring, then I gave it a quick spray of sevrin it seem to start shaking it off and growing? The other ones are growing like crazy.... Is that one of the pests or just placement?
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Return to Plant Talk