Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Non Stop Begonias Not Blooming?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Non Stop Begonias Not Blooming?

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 26, 2012 8:36 am

I got a few tubers this winter, and planted them according to the instructions, leaves came up, a couple of them grew huge, but none of them is blooming. I watered them last weekend with generic flowering fertilizer, but other than that, anything else I could do? Is there such a thing as not enough sun for begonias or too wet or something? So far, we have had a lot of rainy days, and they are in a bed with dappled shade.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Re: Non Stop Begonias Not Blooming?

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Jun 26, 2012 4:17 pm

Begonias are prone to root and crown rot, so be careful with watering. Giving it a shot of fertilizer was probably as good idea. I bought three plants from a nursery this Spring and it looked like they were on steroids; I have never seen such large potted begonias. I could only put one plant in each pot because they were so large (can normally put in 2-3), and they've been blooming their heads off.

Were the tubers really small? Almost always, the larger the tuber, the better the performance. I actually like tuberous begonias planted in pots because they don't get splashed with mud when watering, unlike when they are in-ground.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Northpine » Jun 26, 2012 5:04 pm

None of my begonias are blooming yet. I was late getting them started though. For some reason I couldn't get my act together. Then when i did get them out, I thought they weren't in very good shape but I planted them anyway. and they are growing. Time will tell, I guess.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jun 28, 2012 11:36 am

Thank you, ladies. I was not watering at all, just natural rain. We got a sunny break starting last afternoon, plus I am due for monthly fertilization of everything this weekend so I am keeping fingers crossed that this will get the begonias the right idea.

So, the deeper shade should not be a problem?

Given how early everything is, I should probably be grateful if they start late! It is my very first try with begonias and I really want to see the blooms!
Elena Zimmerman

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 29, 2012 8:38 am

Elena, I agree with Donna. Water is not tuberous begonia's best friend. I usually grow a terra cotta tub full of them, fertilize with slow-release fertilizer when they are planted, and water when the soil in the pot is very dry. Rain is usually suffficient. For a good display, mine need about half of the day in full sun. They tolerate blazing hot for several hours each day.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jul 03, 2012 9:07 am

I think I will soon see some good action then, since it's getting drier and hotter here. The plants look rather well, and I might be seeing some 'budding' action. Kind of a red sliver? a bud? on one. We'll see.
Elena Zimmerman

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Elena Zimmerman wrote:..........The plants look rather well, and I might be seeing some 'budding' action. Kind of a red sliver? a bud? on one. We'll see.

Sounds promising!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Jul 06, 2012 9:51 am

yes, it'sa BUD! I looked at the blooming begonias on the flower beds, and that's how they look when they start out. So cool!

Thank you everyone for the advice. I think I will be much better next year with the placement. :)
Elena Zimmerman

Return to Plant Talk