Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Over run with tree suckers

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Over run with tree suckers

Postby jaimeg » Jun 26, 2012 5:22 pm

We have 2 Manitoba Maples in our back yard right at the property line that are sending out suckers like crazy. Every year I wage a war with these horrible overgrown weeds.

Is there anything I can do to discourage the suckers? Can I paint over the ends with some product or wrap the trunks in landscape fabric? The sucker take up real estate that I would prefer to have planted, plus they look terribly messy sprouting the way they do. I understand that the trees produce even more suckers when stressed, but as these trees reside near the hydro lines, they get a pretty good pruning from the utility every 2 years or so.

Thanks in advance,

J.
jaimeg

Re: Over run with tree suckers

Postby Eeyore » Jun 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Pruning is one of the stressors that will cause them to sucker. These are weed trees that self seed readily and sucker! You can treat the suckers with Round-Up but that will affect the parent tree too. Unfortunately with the parent trees right there you'll ever be able to plant that area as you will constantly battle the suckers and seedlings.

PST - I've taken round-up to a sucker tree in my neighbours yard. I think I finally killed it....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Countryboy » Jun 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I don't know how u wage war on yr suckers, but I keep mine back with a pair of long-handled (3') loppers. Half inch sprouts are no problem for them.

Once or twice a year . . I stroll out and snip them all down as far as I can. Keeps the area nice and tidy. VBG
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby jaimeg » Jun 27, 2012 8:32 am

Thank Eeyore and Countryboy,

Eventually we would like to get rid of these giant weeds, but my understanding is that is is not cheap to have a tree, this size, near hydro lines taken out. Plus the city require a permit to take out mature trees.

I do head out there twice a year and deal with the suckers, but they just seem to pop back as soon as I do, and yes, pulling up the little weed tree seedlings all over the place is annoying.

I was hoping that there would be a commercial product, like something used for fruit trees, that I could try, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that in Canada. Maybe I'll make a trip to the nursery and see if they can thing of anything.

The neighbour has virginia creeper climbing up the tree, so hopefully that will kill them!

Thanks,

J.
jaimeg

Postby Eeyore » Jun 27, 2012 1:25 pm

jaimeg wrote:
The neighbour has virginia creeper climbing up the tree, so hopefully that will kill them!

Thanks,

J.

:lol:

You are an optimist! Chances are the Virginia Creeper will die out first. 8)
J/K.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 28, 2012 9:02 am

I feel your pain! Many grafted trees on the market today develop suckers. Other, non-grafted trees send up suckers because the "tree" really wants to be a multi-stemmed shrub.

Ask at the garden center about a product to stop suckering. I believe one is called SuckerStop, or something like that. It is a plant growth regulator of some type that deters suckering; I don't think it prevents it altogether, just makes suckering much less. Have been thinking about this product for my grafted magnolia tree. As Lyn pointed out, using RoundUp on suckers could kill the tree but, in your case, would this be a bad thing?? LOL

A suggestion I read recently was to dig into the ground to see if there is one root on the tree that is responsible for most of the suckers - if so, cut it off as close to the trunk as possible. Most reputable sources recommended controlling by mowing regularly.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am

Hmmm, wonder if Suckerstop would work on hubby's saskatoon which was SUPPOSED to be a less suckering variety and I'm really not happy with it at all!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Eeyore wrote:Hmmm, wonder if Suckerstop would work on hubby's saskatoon which was SUPPOSED to be a less suckering variety and I'm really not happy with it at all!

I don't know. Might be worth a try... Sorry to hear your tree is a sucker!!!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk