Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

How Big to Hibiscus plants get?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

How Big to Hibiscus plants get?

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 27, 2012 6:02 am

I had been thinking about getting one but had been told that they get pretty big and my garden is only about 5ft wide by about 10ft long and I would like to have a bunch of different types of flowers in it and not have a huge chunk of it taken over by one plant. Does anyone know how big they get?
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Re: How Big to Hibiscus plants get?

Postby B_BQ » Jun 27, 2012 8:23 am

I've seen the perennial hibiscus, (Rose of Sharon), grow to 12+ feet high x 10+ feet wide. I have two and I keep them trimmed to the height and width I want.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 28, 2012 9:25 am

It depends on what type of hibiscus you are looking at. Hibiscius syriacus acts more liked a tree and, as BBQ said, can get quite large. The disadvantage of this plant is that, in most cases, it self-sows like crazy.

I prefer perennial hibiscus, Hibiscus moscheuto. They have beautiful blooms and die back to the ground in winter. My fav is "Sweet Caroline" which grows about 3 ft wide and six feet tall. It looks beautiful with grasses, clematis, sedum, and spirea. It makes a great focal point in a bed the size you describe.

Another H. moscheuto that has stayed fairly narrow for me is "Plum Crazy".
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 29, 2012 12:04 am

Thanks. :) I am actually thinking about putting one in a big pot on the porch beside the garden. That way I don't have to worry about it taking over. I have a bit of an idea already for what flowers I want in the garden and I've already got it sort of mapped out. I think the hibiscus being in the garden would cancel out too many of the other plants for my liking. I've seen them potted before so maybe I'll give that a try.
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 29, 2012 8:30 am

A hibiscus in a pot on the porch sounds lovely. Another type of hibiscus - tropical hibiscus - would be suitable for that depending on how much sun is on the porch and how willing you are to water it regularly.

This year, I bought a tropical one with white blooms for the back porch. Now I have to figure out how to store it for the winter.
Attachments
DSCF4054.JPG
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 29, 2012 11:53 am

That's my problem with all of my plants that need to come out for the winter... Figuring out what to do with them. My apartment doesn't get much sun at all inside. I may end up having to send a bunch to my Mom's...
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Return to Plant Talk