Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Finally getting my first garden started.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Finally getting my first garden started.

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm new to gardening. I've always had tons of plants in every apartment I've lived in (15-20 usually) as I have never had the opportunity to have an actual garden outside. The apartment I'm in right now though does not get much light inside and so I've got two plants. One Lucky Bamboo which seems to survive in anything as long as it's not too cold, and some sort of Jade plant that I bought 2 months ago, which I'm not sure if it will make it or not, I'm not over watering or under watering it but it did sit near the A/C when I first brought it home and I think it may have damaged it a bit.

So a couple of weeks ago I put a call in to my landlord and asked if he minded if I put a garden in the front yard (I live in a house that is split into two apartments) as not having plants around is depressing for me and I figured if I could at least garden outside I'd be okay with that. I just want to have plants. He said he thought this was a great idea as it would "Spruce the place up a bit". So my boyfriend and I started to dig the garden. We ended up coming across a few 100lb slabs of concrete from one of the old porches that were left behind, buried and sodded over. We also realized that the back half of the garden is mostly gravel with a bit of dirt mixed in, so I've been waiting to get topsoil so that I can clear out some of the gravel and topsoil over it so that I can use the whole area for the garden. Today we went and picked up 10 15ltr bags of topsoil and now I finally get to finish digging the garden and get the plants that I have waiting in the garden. I have some Daylily's (I think they're red and purple but not sure if she brought any of the purple) and a purple Iris with Variegated leaves that my boyfriend's mom gave me that have been sitting with their roots in water for a couple of weeks, and a potted Dahlietta Dahlia, and a Flowering Maple Plant (Abutilon?).

Now I just need mother natures blessing and lots of good vibes that the plants don't die and they make the transplant process. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I will post pictures of the process once I'm done tonight.
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Re: Finally getting my first garden started.

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Got the digging part done. Now tomorrow I'll put down the topsoil and get my first plants in the dirt. It's dark outside already in these pics so my apologies for the quality but this gives a bit of an idea of how big it is.
Attachments
2012-06-27 My Garden 014 (90x120).jpg
Side View.
2012-06-27 My Garden 014 (90x120).jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
2012-06-27 My Garden 013 (120x90).jpg
Front view. Wasn't standing back far enough, I'll have to get a better pic once the first few plants are in.
2012-06-27 My Garden 013 (120x90).jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 28, 2012 8:54 am

Good for you, Kara. What a challenge you have! And, it sounds like you are off to a good start. There are some books on "front yard gardening"; my fav is by Liz Primeau, former editor of Canadian Gardening Magazine.

The area with lots of gravel will probably have good drainage which is perfect for drought-tolerant plants like sedum, daylilies, scabiosa, and yarrow ('Moonshine' yarrow has a long, prolific bloom).

Daylilies will grow almost anywhere, even in light shade.

Sorry to hear about the buried porch steps BUT if there is enough soil on top of them, the site might be good for plants that like an alkaline soil. If it is a full-sun area, Solidalgo will probably grow well there. I grow the variety 'Fireworks'; it gets three feet tall and has a spray of blooms that looks like a yellow firecracker display (you can google it to see what the blooms look like).

Good luck! And, feel free to share you progress.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » Jun 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Good Luck! I hope it goes well for you. Come back and show us pictures when it's ready. You do know not to bury the top of the iris rhizome right?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 29, 2012 12:11 am

Thanks. :) I know it's not the best time to start a garden but I didn't think about it in the spring. So I may not get flowers from some of my plants this year but that's okay. Yeah I was told just to bury the roots of the Iris.
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Postby Black Dahlia » Jun 29, 2012 12:15 am

I was actually never really a big fan of Irises or Daylily's but I only ever saw the common orange Daylily's that grow everywhere and not too many colors of Iris. Now that I've seen a bunch of different types and colors I like them a lot more. From what I'm told, my Daylily's should be red, purple, redish orange with a different color throat and a lighter coral one with a different color throat. I'm excited to see what they look like.
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Postby Dumbo » Jun 29, 2012 12:17 am

All plants being sold around me are now half price or more. You can maybe shop around and find this as well since it's off season slightly.
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Return to Plant Talk