Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Is This Catching ? .....

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Is This Catching ? .....

Postby Laura » Jun 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Over my garden fence there grows my neighbors lovely patch of goutweed and mint.Today while I was out there stuffing the goutweed back through the fence,I discovered it had a rash.Now I would not be concerned really and would be saying "nanny nanny poo poo" IF I did not have a lilac,butterfly bush,hollyhock,coneflower, and a grapevine that might catch whatever this is on our side of the fence.

So please someone tell me this is a fatal thing that only affects goutweed and make me VERY happy ..... *wink*

100_4814pb.jpg

100_4816pb.jpg
Laura

Re: Is This Catching ? .....

Postby Katherine » Jun 30, 2012 6:06 pm

Laura, have a look on the flip side of the leaves. That actually looks like two things to me, the top one looks like old foliar feeding injury from aphids, and the second one looks like its either a rust which you will see the fuzz-like fruiting capsules on the undersurface, or possibly another encapsulated foliar feeding caterpillar. There should be a place where its in kind of a bubble of old leaf tissue.

I think you are having the same kind of weather as us in the Kootenay here, very wet and kind of cool. So this kind of injury is really typical. I was seeing it all over in the pathology survey I was just doing.

kat
Katherine

Postby Laura » Jun 30, 2012 6:16 pm

We did have quite a lot of rain here and the ground is still wet after a week of hot weather.We are getting thunder storm warnings now,like usually happens after a few days of hot weather.

I just saw this on the goutweed and got excited that maybe it would die ... isn't that horrid of me ... laff.Then I thought if it's catching I could be in for trouble or my few plants could.

I think if I plant anything else in this garden of mine it will be a native plant,then it has a better chance with the weather and diseases.I have been doing a bit of reading about native plants and lots of them are just wild versions of the fancy ones sold in the nurseries.
Laura

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Laura wrote:.............I just saw this on the goutweed and got excited that maybe it would die ...

The only thing that will get it to die is a "RoundUp shower": you know, that unexpected brief "misting spray" event that seems to occur out of the blue when no one is home. LOL LOL
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Laura » Jul 01, 2012 6:27 am

A Closet Canuck wrote:
Laura wrote:.............I just saw this on the goutweed and got excited that maybe it would die ...

The only thing that will get it to die is a "RoundUp shower": you know, that unexpected brief "misting spray" event that seems to occur out of the blue when no one is home. LOL LOL

Laff .... yes but here I would have to cover six lots ... the neighbor over the fence is not the only one growing it .... :roll:
Laura

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 01, 2012 9:12 am

Laura wrote:Laff .... yes but here I would have to cover six lots ... the neighbor over the fence is not the only one growing it .... :roll:

Sorry to hear that. You will have an onoing battle with the both of them. I find mint to be more of a problem than goutweed.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Laura » Jul 01, 2012 10:33 am

The neighbor (older lady) that did live there had the goutweed mowed off by her yard care company and the mint was in a pot.The mint was contained pretty good because she weeded out any stray ones.The goutweed did not die but didn't travel either.

When she moved the house was bought by a Dad for his kid because the step-mom didn't want the kid living with them.The kid is in school training to be an electrician.He is not a gardener that is for sure.If he mowes the grass we are lucky.

Anyway it could be worse ... it could be poison ivy !!

Laura

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Laura wrote:.........Anyway it could be worse ... it could be poison ivy !!

Now, that is looking on the bright side!!! LOL Maybe Junior will move on after he gets his electrician's license or he marries and his new wife doesn't like the place.

I guess it is useful for us gardeners to think about the environmental impact of the plants we leave after we have moved on.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Laura » Jul 01, 2012 10:32 pm

There is a maple tree growing in that mess too,directly under my fence .... I think I am going to consider that fair game and remove it ... it is ON the line so I think I have the option of taking it out .....

... that is my story anyway ..... *smile*
Laura

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 02, 2012 11:24 am

Yes, it's fair game!

A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Plant Talk