Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

scapes

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

scapes

Postby Eeyore » Jun 30, 2012 8:51 pm

My garlic now has scapes. Do I cut them off or leave them be.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: scapes

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jun 30, 2012 10:30 pm

That's a good question. Since I am a failure at growing decent-sized garlic bulbs, I'll await an answer from one of the "garlic kings/queens" on the list. You could send Sharon B. a pm, if you are so inclined. She and Bill grow fantastic garlic.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Heidi S » Jun 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Me Too! I am a newbie at garlic - so?
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Laura » Jul 01, 2012 6:23 am

You can cut them off and use them in cooking ... stir-fry or soups etc ... they have mild flavor.
Laura

Postby Eeyore » Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

If I leave them on does it harm the bulb?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby davefrombc » Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

My guess would be yes, anything the plant has to put energy into will be taking it away from being stored in the bulb. How much difference it would make is the question .. How about doing an experiment?.. If you have several , use half the scapes in cooking and leave the other half on .. Compare the average sizes of the bulbs when harvest time comes... And use the seed or bulbils for an extended crop next year .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Laura » Jul 01, 2012 4:45 pm

I have done both and it didn't make a whole lot of difference in the garlic taste or amount of harvest.
Laura

Postby kelly_m » Jul 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Think of it as any other flower.....the scapes are the seed pod, so if you leave them the plant puts all it's energies into the seeds and not the bulb!! cut them off.....use them in your cooking....they are wonderful I finde them milder than the actual garlic!

And in the end you should have much larger garlic bulbs!

Warning!!!! a friend had left her scapes last year and now has a million garlic plants!!!!
(kinda like the tomatoes you keep finding popping up in your garden after using compost! LOL)
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby davefrombc » Jul 01, 2012 7:31 pm

Just a little off topic; but do any of you have the Egyptian walking onions? They multiply by growing scapes/ bulbils on tall stems that bend over and set another lot of themselves. They make great green onions when young and are about the hardiest onion I know. They are a great novelty. Hardy from southern California ( where I was given my first ones ) to zone 3 at least. They survive winters in Prince George / Ft. St. James area and Alberta so should be good right across Canada
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby Laura » Jul 01, 2012 10:20 pm

kelly_m wrote:
Warning!!!! a friend had left her scapes last year and now has a million garlic plants!!!!
(kinda like the tomatoes you keep finding popping up in your garden after using compost! LOL)

Figures ... that is why I left mine and I had no extra plants,of course if I had not wanted extra they would have been everywhere ! ... lol
Laura

Next

Return to Plant Talk