Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

urgent! Will dividing this cedar kill it?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: urgent! Will dividing this cedar kill it?

Postby B_BQ » Jul 03, 2012 7:36 pm

brentwoodbc wrote:and maybe a small tree (maple or something)

I've yet to come across a 'small' maple. Be very careful what you plant. They may start out small, but maples get huge. I know I have three in my garden, and they're a real pain. They're messy and drop lots of 'keys' which can often turn into more maples! It's a constant battle. I think an ornamental tree of some sort, if you really want a 'tree'.

Maybe if you were to extend your foundation plantings, bringing it out further into the front lawn, then you wouldn't even need a central tree. Just my opinion.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby maryjanej » Jul 04, 2012 3:22 am

B_BQ wrote:
brentwoodbc wrote:and maybe a small tree (maple or something)

I've yet to come across a 'small' maple. Be very careful what you plant. They may start out small, but maples get huge. I know I have three in my garden, and they're a real pain. They're messy and drop lots of 'keys' which can often turn into more maples! It's a constant battle. I think an ornamental tree of some sort, if you really want a 'tree'.

Maybe if you were to extend your foundation plantings, bringing it out further into the front lawn, then you wouldn't even need a central tree. Just my opinion.

~BBQ

I agree with B_BQ maples do get very large and in the fall quite a load of leaves to pick-up. She's right about the keys I often find small little maples trying to grow in my flower beds.

I also think B_BQ has a good idea:
Maybe if you were to extend your foundation plantings, bringing it out further into the front lawn, then you wouldn't even need a central tree.

You could also maybe plant a hedge of roses by the sidewalk or by your pathway.

If you do decide on a tree try to pick something like the size of a lilac, mockorange something that doesn't grow too tall and don't plant it to close to the foundation keep in mind the width that it can grow.

Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby Heidi S » Jul 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Amur Maple (acer Ginnala) 'Embers' is a very lovely small maple that tops out around 20-25 ft. I have one along the south gable end of my house, and it looks lovely against the white siding. At 12 years old, it has just reached the roof peak.

They are commonly found as multi-stemmed plants, but can also be trained to one stem. Wonderful fall colour, green in summer, bees love the tiny flowers and the only 'drawback' is the tendency to seed from the 'propellers' which hang on for at least a year. They are also as hardy as nails to Zone 2, so no issues with taking Canadian winters!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby B_BQ » Jul 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Heidi S wrote:Amur Maple (acer Ginnala) 'Embers' is a very lovely small maple that tops out around 20-25 ft.

In my opinion, even 20 - 25 ft would dwarf this pretty little bungalow. Maybe not for the present owner, but the next owner is going to be faced with the same decision of getting rid of a tree that is too big for the space in about 15 - 20 years!

I still think the space doesn't even need a centre-lawn tree. A lovely curved foundation that really steps out into the lawn at the right hand side would be a lovely spot for a small tree for a little height. I'm not talking 20 - 25 feet, but more like 8 - 10 feet maximum, and there are quite a few pretty ornamental trees to choose from that don't get any taller than that.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby brentwoodbc » Jul 13, 2012 11:17 pm

bought a couple bur oak trees, they get really big but are slow growing...neighbor has one.

also bought a cedar of some kind.

and 4 dwarf spruce

and some assorted perennials.

need to fix the front lawn first//

gonna plant in the back soon.
brentwoodbc

Postby brentwoodbc » Aug 05, 2012 12:23 pm

brentwoodbc

Previous

Return to Plant Talk