Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Cransbill, Rozanne

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Cransbill, Rozanne

Postby mebbie » Jul 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi this plant has been beautiful for the past 2 years. This year it has grown long and leggy and looks weedy. Can it be sheared back and still recover this season?
Thank you
mebbie

Re: Cransbill, Rozanne

Postby Eeyore » Jul 02, 2012 10:40 pm

I would think so. Cranesbill are pretty forgiving.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » Jul 03, 2012 8:47 am

I would think so too. Yesterday I pulled out handfuls of them. They wander all over my garden and I'm forever pulling the stragglers out, so I would think a haircut shouldn't bother them at all.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Peggy2296 » Jul 03, 2012 1:10 pm

My Cranesbills are one of the only plants to have survived the years of darkness on my property. I doubt much could kill them.
Peggy2296

Postby orchidguy » Jul 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Most of the cranebills are quite weedy here, producing seedlings all over the place, but the nice thing is I've noticed that most breed true from seed. even the double plenum.
They can be cut down with no ill effects, and I had the same problem as you a few years back ( growing way too tall) so I cut them back and reduced the amount of fertilizer given (good old aged poop from the barn) They came back beautifully.
I've now cut back on the fertilization of all the beds for the past few years, and the plants have all grown and bloomed beautifully for me.
orchidguy

Return to Plant Talk