Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

question for Kat

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

question for Kat

Postby Smitty » Jul 03, 2012 8:39 am

my niece sent me this photo taken the other day in Vancouver...other than the obvious..WHY???? isn't this harmful to the trees??

blue trees.jpg
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Re: question for Kat

Postby Katherine » Jul 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I checked this to see if it is a photoshopped fake. If it is they did a very thorough job of not smearing the blue overlay. If I had the address I know someone who would check it for me on the ground. If it really IS blue paint, it depends on the paint ofcourse. If its water soluble, it will seep into the bark as it washes a way, and be retained in the cracks. If its not water soluble, it will take a long time to come off.

Bark surfaces are dead material, so its not going to be a problem for the trees as much as for the epiphytic creatures on the bark, like the mosses, lichens, liverworts, insects, etc etc. People paint the bark of trees in tropical countries with white wash, and you dont see much happening to the green part of the trees, but the lush biotic bark dwellers are toast after a treatment like that. Well most of them anyway. If its a oil based paint or one with strong organic solvent component in it, it could damage the foliage brushing up against it, and seep into the cambium layer through pores, holes, excavations made by birds, and cause a general decline of the tree or some necrotic patches. Can also weaken these relatively healthy looking trees so that they are susceptible to infestations by more serious pathogens than paint.

Its pretty hideous, and I hope its a hoax.

Kat
Katherine

Postby Laura » Jul 03, 2012 1:35 pm

What a horrid thing to do .... the problem is some people will think it is "neat " and start copying it.
Laura

Postby Katherine » Jul 03, 2012 1:59 pm

I am really not sure if this is actually real or a retouched photograph. So if your niece knows where it was shot, for sure, then I can check it myself or have someone else verify it.
Katherine

Postby bluebird » Jul 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi Lynn & Kat!

I'm not Kat, but I have seen this blue tree art thingie before and can shed some light. Here's a link about an artist that is doing this in Seattle. It's to raise awareness of...well read the link for more info. According to the article the paint is not harmful and fades away in a few weeks. I still wouldn't put it on the trees for the reasons as noted by Kat and as Laura pointed out it could be copied by others that actually use real paint rather than the safe non-chemical colouring.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017895829_bluetrees.html

I'm not sure where your photo was taken, but apparently this was done in Vancouver last year as well. http://dirt.asla.org/2011/03/23/vancouvers-blue-trees/

I prefer my trees natural. :shock:
bluebird

Postby Smitty » Jul 04, 2012 6:57 am

it's real!!! taken in Vancouver last week.
thanks for the info everyone
""Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain."
Smitty BBS :-)
Smitty

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 04, 2012 9:15 am

Well, hello there, Bluebird. Long time no see. Hope things are well at Georgian Bay with you and your loved ones. It's another Presidential election year and I think often about the map of the United States of Canada and the offer of the igloo at your old place during the Bush vs. Kerry race. Hopefully, we will have a good outcome in this one. Mitt the Monster would be bad for the U.S. and for Canada.

My comment is, it might be a good last hurrah for a tree that must be removed anyway. We had three trees taken down recently at the library for health and safety reasons - it would have been a hoot to paint them before the tree service arrived. Certainly would have gotten the attention of even the stuffiest patron.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby bluebird » Jul 04, 2012 9:45 am

Hey Trish, always a pleasure to meet on the cyber garden path with you! Yes, all is well here...working on my garden, enjoying living close to family and friends, doing a little watercolouring (hah-hah..I always think of how we gave you a basket of "u"s when you became an honourary Canuck here!) and of course still taking pics of birds and nature stuff.

:idea:

I must admit I follow US politics thru The Daily Show which is a total hoot, but seriously I do hope for Mittless USA for your sake and ours as his party seems to be harbor some pretty scary folks. And yes, we'll keep that igloo on ice for you just in case-laf!

You could paint your trees red white & blue for today...Happy July 4th to you and our American friends!! 8)
Ka-boom!

bluebird

Postby Katherine » Jul 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi BB, CC and thanks for chiming in. The trees are not on their way out, that I can tell. They are pea family, I THINK but not sure. It actually makes my blood boil a bit. I know there must be arachnids and all manner of insects in the fissures of the bark, mosses, liverworts, and some crustose lichens... How can someone be up on a ladder painting away face to face with these creatures, thinking they are making this grand statement to save trees and not notice they are killing a whole bunch of life that takes years to establish and is just as worthy as their political statements? It makes me want to climb up the ladder and slap the brush out of the hand of the painter and give them a lecture on surficial respiration.

Rant over. Back to hydrocarbon toxicity.
Katherine

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm

[quote="bluebird"]Hey Trish,.........I always think of how we gave you a basket of "u"s when you became an honourary Canuck here!) and of course still taking pics of birds and nature stuff.
I must admit I follow US politics thru The Daily Show which is a total hoot, but seriously I do hope for Mittless USA for your sake and ours as his party seems to be harbor some pretty scary folks. And yes, we'll keep that igloo on ice for you just in case-laf!

Thanks for the holiday wishes! Right now, fireworks are going off; fire engines shouldn't be far behind.LOL

I was thinking about the basket of "u's" the other day - what a hoot that was! Was thinking about it because an ad on this site talked about "odour". There's that unnecessary "u", again! and all the paper and ink wasted...LOL LOL

As for the Presidential election, Obama could lose, it is not beyond the realm of possibility. You are right - there are some very scary people in the Republican Party and they DO love war. Glad to have a backup plan in Cda - I hear igloos can be quite comfy in a long, cold winter.

Glad to "see" you again. Take care and happy painting.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Plant Talk