Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Pee-gee Hydraynias

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Pee-gee Hydraynias

Postby Sinclair » Jul 04, 2012 1:32 pm

I have an 8-10 year old-30" high Pee-gee Hydrangea that has not sprouted leaves this year. It did develop small buds but none have opened as yet. When i did a nail scrape of the bark it appears green underneath.Can anyone suggest what i may do to shock this small bush back to life?
Sinclair

Re: Pee-gee Hydraynias

Postby B_BQ » Jul 04, 2012 4:33 pm

I can't help you but hope someone can. Maybe it just needs a good dose of fertilizer.
When we moved into this house nearly 7 years ago there was a nice Pee Gee hydrangea in the left foundation planting leading up to the entrance. We liked it.
After removing a huge blue spruce from the right foundation planting, that was completely blocking a window, (take note peoples - do not plant large growing shrubs and trees too close to the dwelling!), I tried to match the new space on the right to the left plantings - not exactly, but I did include a Pee Gee Hydrangea. Both were doing well.
However, this spring I noticed that the original Pee Gee had not leafed out at all, whereas the newer one had. I left it for a few weeks, but nothing. It had died. I cut it out a couple of weeks ago, so now just have one Pee Gee on the other side.
I will not be replacing the one on the left side as it was getting hidden anyway by a well growing Hicks Yew.
Other Pee Gee hydrangeas in the neighbourhood are doing well, so I really don't know what caused mine to die. It wasn't huge.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ian66 » Jul 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Your hydrangea should have sprouted leaves months ago.....in fact most pee gees are starting to flower, so there is no hope of trying to bring it back to life...even with fertilizer (which will only make it worse in its condition)....This plant will not make it through the winter.....I suggest that you replace it now, so that the new plant has a change to get established .....

Ian
Ian66

Postby Sinclair » Jul 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for your info and advice. I'm not much of a quitter so I have decided to up root the plant and move it to a partly shaded place and give it a last chance with the addition of better soil. As well I will be replacing with a more sun friendly rose bush.
Sinclair

Return to Plant Talk