Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Cedar dying or "bronzing"?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Cedar dying or "bronzing"?

Postby blakean » Jul 07, 2012 3:44 pm

Hello!

I have taken a picture of a cedar which has recently turned a whitish colour only on one side. I am wondering what is happening to it and if the tree will recover its greenery. It has been quite hot recently, but I have been watering the trees regularly. The other 5 cedars planted next to this one are moreoreless green. Thanks!

blakean

Re: Cedar dying or "bronzing"?

Postby Ian66 » Jul 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Looks like an Emerald Cedar......they are multi-stemmed and it looks by the picture that one of the stems has an issue with water up take.....this could be due to damage of the stem or the roots feeding that particular area.....never the less, that part will get increasingly drier and eventually turn brown and die......I would suggest that you remove the dying stems and keep watering the cedars through the dry spell.....that void area will eventually fill in by the surrounding foliage....however, this will take a while....

Ian
Ian66

Re: Cedar dying or "bronzing"?

Postby blakean » Jul 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Ah, I was hoping that wasn't the case--to have a big bite out the tree for who knows how long. I appreciate your response!
blakean

Return to Plant Talk