Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Golden Elderberry problem

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Golden Elderberry problem

Postby erikacon » Jul 08, 2012 10:07 am

Hi everyone. I'm newbie in 5a. I bought a golden elderberry and am having problems with leaves turning brown. I water daily and have also sprayed fungicide in case fungus was the problem but it just keeps doing it. It's in a very nice location - lots of air and sun. I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?
Attachments
elderberry.jpg
erikacon

Re: Golden Elderberry problem

Postby B_BQ » Jul 08, 2012 12:55 pm

I've also just planted another Golden Elderberry. (We tried to transplant one from another area of the garden but it died!).

There are a few discoloured leaves on ours too. I am just picking them off as I see them. Yes, keep up the watering, but don't drown the roots. If you have clay soil then the water may sit there for a tad too long.

Good luck, to both of us!

I'm anxious for mine to flourish and thrive as I want to try to make Elderberry cordial! A friend brought me a bottle from the UK . A splash of it in a fresh fruit salad is wonderful.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello, erikacon and BBQ-

On first glance, the leaves of your golden elderberry look like they have a little sun scorch. Has it been hotter than usual this summer where you are? Yellow-leaved cultivars are less tolerant of excessive heat and sun than their green counterparts.

I found some cultural information that makes me wonder about sun scorch:
"Grow in moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil, preferably with morning full sun and afternoon shade."

Good luck! I hope your plants recover soon.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Ian66 » Jul 09, 2012 9:45 am

I agree with Trish.......sun scorch ......common with newly planted elders and other yellow or variegated plants.....
Ian66

Postby erikacon » Jul 09, 2012 10:37 am

Oh thank you so much. You have relieved my mind. So, can I just leave it where it is? It does get sun most of the day. :?:
erikacon

Postby Ian66 » Jul 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes, just keep the soil moist.....once the roots become established , next year you will not have the same problem

ian
Ian66

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 09, 2012 8:57 pm

If you provide the moisture Ian66 suggests, and it still scorches, try putting some type of sunscreen (I give plants a little protection from the sun using newspaper or landscape fabric and bamboo stakes) on the plant for the rest of the summer. If it still scorches after those efforts, move to a spot in the fall that is a bit more shady. If it responds to the moisture where it is, you are good to go.

A Closet Canuck

Postby erikacon » Jul 10, 2012 5:22 am

Thank you so much. I guess all the spraying with a fungicide wouldn't help if it's
getting a sunburn. :P I think moving it would probably be better. Look better, too, than stakes etc.
erikacon

Postby B_BQ » Jul 10, 2012 8:13 am

erikacon wrote:I think moving it would probably be better.

Good luck with moving it. That's why we had to buy another one! The transplant didn't go well. Must have cut off too many roots. However, if yours is recently planted then you shouldn't have any problems moving it. Just get the new hole dug and amended beforehand.

My Golden Elder too is in sun most of the day, and that's where it's staying. It's just going to have to learn to like it. I'm giving it a good drink every day and it's already putting out new growth in just 3 weeks. And, it's been bluidy hot, hot, hot here in south central Ontario, without much rain.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 10, 2012 9:43 am

[quote="B_BQ].......And, it's been bluidy hot, hot, hot here in south central Ontario, without much rain.
~BBQ[/quote]
Same here, BBQ. Most of my plants are struggling under the conditions. So, in better times, your golden elderberry does fine? Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Plant Talk