Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Golden Elderberry problem

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: Golden Elderberry problem

Postby erikacon » Jul 10, 2012 10:46 am

I live in the country. Well water, septic tank and leaching bed. You get the idea. The house is a century home. There were no outside taps when we bought it. Although I had rain barrels - let's face it - the barrels don't hold that much but while they had water, I'd use my watering can and give each plant a drink each day during periods of drought. Once the barrels were empty, I'd go to the kitchen, fill up the watering can and water that way. We kept adding more beds and and it took hours to water everything.

However, the house had an enormous cistern in the basement. It was not connected so it wasn't much good. This Spring we finally got around to having it connected. The plumber did most of the work, then the electrician and finally the roofers who installed new eaves-troughs feeding into the myriad of pipes. Of course, there were other pipes dealing with overflow. So now I have water and hoses but of course it still has to rain to fill the cistern. So, although I'm good for now, I do hope it rains some time soon. I'd hate to go back to the watering can.
erikacon

Re: Golden Elderberry problem

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 10, 2012 1:54 pm

erikacon wrote:Thank you so much. I guess all the spraying with a fungicide wouldn't help if it's
getting a sunburn. :P I think moving it would probably be better. Look better, too, than stakes etc.

Yes, I believe you are right. Scorched leaves do develop fungus on the damaged parts, but the scorch is the principal problem.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Previous

Return to Plant Talk