Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

From Shade to sun in one stroke

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

From Shade to sun in one stroke

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2012 12:33 am

Chopped down the diseased apple tree last week (fire blight) and the shade planting area behind is now a full sun bed and boy are the plants feeling the heat with our sudden sunshine onslaught! Hostas, adiantum ferns and heuchera are roasting! Gah.... short term solution? a beach umbrella to sit over top - certainly colourful and hopefully enough until I can decide whether to replace the tree and have it get tall enough to shade, Or, start reworking the bed and moving stuff around, again!

Remember I was grumbling a few weeks ago about turning the furnace on - tomorrow we hit 32 degrees. Wow what a change in one week....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Re: From Shade to sun in one stroke

Postby Peggy2296 » Jul 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Similiar situation here. I had a huge tree cut down and my hostas and ferns suddenly got full sun (for about 3 hrs/day)after living in darkness for years. I left them where they were and just watered heavily every day. Now they're doing fine and one of the hostas even flowered for the first time in years. Your beach umbrella put up for a few hours during the hottest sun may help to gradually acclimate the plants.

My Lady and Sword ferns are fine, but I did have to move 2 cinnamon ferns since they are completely intolerent of sun and you'll have to move your ferns too since I believe that species can't take any sun either.
Peggy2296

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2012 8:42 pm

My apple tree gave dappled shade, so the plants were flourishing already. Now, they are in hot, hot, full sun all day, and the temp is 31 right now. So all Roasty Toasty - I may just dig up the adiantum fern and move it now, as it is just wilting and going crips. The two hostas are looking over heated as well, but not as badly. There is lots of water in the area, as it borders the veggie patch and gets watered very regularly.

It sounds like your area is in more shade anyway, so losing the tree cover was probably a benefit vs. my situation. Ah, well, gardening is always a matter maintaining balances and when you change one thing, something else has to respond. I guess this s the time to plan changing this bed from shade tolerant to full sun!
\ASAP!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Northpine » Jul 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Sorry about losing your tree Heidi. I hate fireblight! I lost my mountain ash last year that was providing shade for my new hosta bed. I haven't relocated them because I don't have another spot right now. So far they're doing okay. But this is our week for the hot weather. I'll have to give them extra water for sure.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Return to Plant Talk