Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Cherry Trees in Trouble and something else

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Cherry Trees in Trouble and something else

Postby ben01 » Jul 09, 2012 4:37 pm

I had three cherry trees. They are fairly young, maybe 6 - 7 feet high with a trunk diameter of about an 1 - 1.5 inches.

Last year I lost one. The leaves shrivelled up and dropped off.

This year I am losing another one. It did have minor aphid infestation earlier in the spring, but I thought I had taken care of it with soapy water, and I saw a number of lady bugs hanging about so I thought it was okay. Weeks passed with no aphid sightings and it looked to be doing okay. Now, same thing as last year: leaves curled up and are dropping off. SOme of the leaves do look like they have been eaten by something; there are numerous pin-holes on some of the leaves.

Any ideas? If I have to replace the tree, okay, but I would like to avoid losing my third cherry in the same way as it seems quite healthy (despite something having chewed on a few of it's leaves, too).

It has been the hottest, driest year I can remember. I have tried to water the trees, but maybe I have not been as diligent with them as my other plants.

While I'm on the topic, I have a hybrid poplar in my back yard, too. It is huge, at least three stories tall. And it seems okay, but this year many of the leaves didn't seem to fully develop and are twisted upwards. In previous years you could not see the trunk for the leaves by this time of year, but the tree is no so full this year.

Any ideas?
ben01

Re: Cherry Trees in Trouble and something else

Postby B_BQ » Jul 09, 2012 5:53 pm

ben01 wrote:I have a hybrid poplar in my back yard, too. It is huge, at least three stories tall.

....and you want to keep it?

Is that the one that produces tons of 'kapok' each year? We have one; unfortunately just off our property on a piece of land that has not yet been built on. I'll tell ya - it's tempting to get the chain saw out!!! I seem to spend hours each year pulling out 'poplar' seedlings.

Sorry, but my experience with all poplars has been nothing but horrible.

I can't help with the cherry trees. I also had the experience of two perfectly healthy cherry trees just giving up the ghost one year.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Ian66 » Jul 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Sounds like you have `Peach leaf curl fungus`which attacks cherry trees too....I have cut and pasted a short note about it.....

As for your hybrid poplar.....if you live in southern Ontario where we are experiencing a bad drought...I would strongly suggest that you water your tree thoroughly....poplars demand large quantities of water.....

Peach Leaf Curl
Peach leaf curl is another fungal infection that can cause the leaves of a range of fruit trees to have curled leaves, including peaches, nectarines and cherries. The fungus Taphrina deformans is the pathogen responsible for this disease. When the fungus grows, it causes the leaves to become thicker than normal. This produces a characteristic curling deformation in the leaves with associated yellow to reddish-purple discoloration. The fungus eventually fruits and releases spores. Once this process is finished the leaf dies and drops of the tree. Left unchecked this fungus can entirely defoliate the tree. A fungicide applied late in fall or early in spring before leaf formation may help to reduce the risk of infection. Once leaves are infected and curled, there is no effective treatment.

Ian
Ian66

Postby ben01 » Jul 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks, Ian66 - that pretty sounds like it. I guess I will replace the tree and be more diligent about using a fungicide in the fall and spring on the healthy trees.

Also - BBQ - the poplar is planted at the apex of my triangular backyard. I can't cut it down. Given the bad rap the poplars get I would not have planted it; but I'm stuck with and what to ensure it remains as healthy as possible!
ben01

Return to Plant Talk