Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Garden problems!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Garden problems!

Postby Northpine » Jul 09, 2012 7:22 pm

I am posting these pictures for my sister. She came home from work today to find her Silver Brocade Artemesia and her Limelight licorice vine being devastated by these worms. Anyone know what this could be? Both plants have fuzzy leaves and I'm surprised they are being attacked.
photo2.JPG

The second problem is her lilacs. She said they are also crawling with worms and the leaves are turning brown. She wants to know what she should do. I'm trying to discourage her from cutting them down.
photo.JPG
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Re: Garden problems!

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2012 8:34 pm

The 'worms' look like forest tent caterpillars to me. We have a population surge here in northern BC and they can defoliate acres of plant material - here they go after the poplars first, then just about anything else. They are horrible! Typically they go through about 10 year cycles and when they are at the top of the cycle they are an epidemic.

My friend's garden is up against a forested area and she is showing it in a garden tour next Saturday. We spend hours yesterday picking off the little darlings and squishing them to save the plants, shrubs and trees. The good news, is that typically most trees will put out new leaves and recover, but smaller plants may be less successful. These caterpillars are not very choosy either - they enjoy potentilla which is a fairly dry leaf.

Good luck!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Ian66 » Jul 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Your lilacs look as if they have lilac leaf miner......take a leaf and see if there is a worm inside the leaf....if so, there is no spray that will penetrate the leaf to kill the offender....they won`t kill your tree....just makes it unsightly......

Ian
Ian66

Postby kelly_m » Jul 09, 2012 9:31 pm

if not a leaf miner and actual worms or caterpillers...the best product to use is BTK....Any garden centre or crappy tire or......
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Northpine » Jul 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks Everyone,
She does live in a forested area and has had invasions in the past. I wonder if it was 10 years ago. It can be quite discouraging.
I did tell her to try BTK for the lilac though. It sounded as if she could see the worms, so I'm not sure about the leaf miner, but I have seen that on lilacs before. I'll mention it to her, Ian.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~W.E. Johns, The Passing Show
Northpine

Postby Heidi S » Jul 09, 2012 10:50 pm

BTK sold out of every store here in record time, but with the sheer volume it proved ineffective by all reports. When I first moved here, we experienced the previous invasion which was unbelievable. The city ended up having to sand some roads that had millions of them, and it was like driving on ice.

It takes about 3 years for the cycle to crash again and the rest of the 10 years to come back to the top. Yech, Yech, Yech....
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby Northpine » Jul 09, 2012 11:53 pm

Yikes, Heidi, I think she will go crazy if I tell her that! They have a huge property that they maintain like a park. She likes things to look perfect.

Well, it's getting dark out, so I'm going to put my bug shirt on and go outside with my flashlight to pick climbing cut worms off my plants. Isn't gardening fun? :roll:
Good night, all.
Marie
Zone 1b, Northern MB
Northpine

Return to Plant Talk