Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

sudden death of red salvia

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

sudden death of red salvia

Postby larae » Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Does anyone have any insight into sudden death of red salvia, red flare?
they are growing along fine then just start to wilt then crisp in random locations throughout the flower bed. roots have grown past the cell pack ball of soil which is at times dry but not always so.
larae

Re: sudden death of red salvia

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 09, 2012 8:30 pm

If you are anywhere around the area where I live (Georgian Bay area), we have been having a hot, dry summer, my thought would be lack of water. Most plants do not like their roots to dry out and if they do dry out more than once, they will eventually die.

A good, thick layer of mulch to help conserve moisture would help alleviate any further problems.

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Re: sudden death of red salvia

Postby Black Dahlia » Jul 09, 2012 10:53 pm

I have Fresh Look Red and Fresh Look Orange Salvia, they are in full sun from 6am to around 3-4pm, I water once a day unless we get a good rain. It's been hot and humid and we've had days where it's felt like it was 40 degrees with the humidex. I have them in a new garden that I amended with potting soil only. The only thing I have done to help them along is spray them once when I transplanted them with a flower growth/transplant spray (can't remember what it's called) and so far so good though I was worried about there not being enough nutrients in the soil with it being a brand new garden. There are also a lot of rocks in the dirt where I dug the garden, maybe helping with drainage. Is it possible that they could have gotten root rot from over watering? That or the soil & roots drying out too often would be my guess.
Kara
Zone 5a
Peterborough, Ontario
Black Dahlia

Return to Plant Talk