Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

transplanting a lilac

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

transplanting a lilac

Postby ben01 » Jul 14, 2012 8:15 pm

I planted a Charles Jolly lilac tree in April or May, this year. I bought it from a nursery and it was grown in pot - so no transplanting concerns.

It is a young tree, maybe 3-4 feet high.

I want to move it from my backyard to my front yard. I don't want to wait until fall when it's dormant.

Anybody think it would hurt it to transplant it now?
ben01

Re: transplanting a lilac

Postby davefrombc » Jul 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Unless there is a pressing reason to move it , I'd wait for fall dormancy before doing it. Now is the time it is growing and recovering from the move from the nursery and pot to yuor yard. Moving it during its growth time, and in the heat of summer could set it back seriously. It needs all its roots to draw the moisture from the soil when it is losing so much to the heat.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby ben01 » Jul 15, 2012 12:16 am

My pressing need is that the lilac is in a line of fruit trees, and one of my cherry trees just died. So I want to plant an apple in its place but need a pollinator -so I need two apple trees. The only place to plant it is where the lilac is.

I am not concerned about setting it back - I can wait - I just don't want to kill the lilac.
ben01

Postby Ian66 » Jul 15, 2012 7:11 am

Since the lilac is newly planted, the root ball should be still intact....dig it up trying not to damage the root ball and move it now.....water it well.....you shouldn't have any problem that you would have had with trying to move an established lilac.....

Ian
Ian66

Postby maryjanej » Jul 16, 2012 2:03 am

I agree with Ian since it is newly transplanted it shouldn't hurt it much and yes try not to disturb the root ball and keep it well watered you can also add some bone meal in the transplant hole to help with the roots. But do keep it well watered with the hot weather and drought we're having it's very important.

Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby copperbeech » Jul 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Just anecdotal but I have a lilac that I have moved 4 times at various times in the year with at least two in the high heat of summer and all has been fine. Lilac appear to be quite hardy and forgiving bush.
copperbeech

Return to Plant Talk