Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Halls Honeysuckle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Halls Honeysuckle

Postby thistle » Jul 15, 2012 12:53 am

My Halls Honeysuckle was planted 2 Years ago when I moved to my current location. It grew well last Year and started off great this Spring,and put out a good display of Blooms.After it finished blooming it started to look bad and has slowly deteriorated to the point of having to cut it right back almost to the ground.All the other Plants in the area are doing well,what could the problem be with the Honeysuckle? I don't want to lose it.
thistle

Re: Halls Honeysuckle

Postby Ian66 » Jul 15, 2012 7:05 am

Sounds like Honeysuckle leaf blight caused by Insolibasidium deformans fungus......cutting off the diseased areas will help to reduce the spread of spores.....you can also treat it with copper sulphate (bordo mixture) which might also slow the spread...but spraying with copper sulphate is more effective when you first see the disease starting to affect your vine....

Ian
Ian66

Postby B_BQ » Jul 15, 2012 7:34 am

I too have a honeysuckle that about 3 years ago was looking terrible.
I don't like where it is either!
I decided to cut it back to the ground in the Fall and said that if it came back then fine, and if died then fine!
It came back stronger than ever and, in fact, is far too big for its present location. I don't think digging it up is an option as I think it's been there for about 20 years and the roots are probably extensive.
It's looking a little ratty again this year so I'm going to cut it back to the ground again this Fall and put up a stronger taller trellis.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby thistle » Jul 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Ian66 wrote:Sounds like Honeysuckle leaf blight caused by Insolibasidium deformans fungus......cutting off the diseased areas will help to reduce the spread of spores.....you can also treat it with copper sulphate (bordo mixture) which might also slow the spread...but spraying with copper sulphate is more effective when you first see the disease starting to affect your vine....

Ian

Thanks Ian,I feel better now.I did spray with fungicide but it just kept getting worse so I did cut it right back yesterday,hopefully it will come back bigger and better. I had a HUGE one in my previous Garden, so big I couldn't take it with me,fortunately my Son bought our House so I can go see it whenever I want.It was spectacular this Year and is still blooming.The Fragrance is amazing.
thistle

Return to Plant Talk