Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Royal Wedding Oriental Poppy

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Royal Wedding Oriental Poppy

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 15, 2012 8:44 am

I love poppies, so when I found this variety, I snatched up two. One I planted in my back flowerbed on the North side of the house and the other I planted on the South side of the house. I have various other poppies and wherever I plant them, they grow really well. That is except for this variety. They grew fine last year and weathered our winter no problem. We had lots of rain this Spring. One is mulched and one is not. Both of this variety are drying up and dying. Haven't done anything different than the other varieties. My question is this, is this variety just a more tender variety? Have you grown this particular poppy and how did it turn out for you? Thanks! Im just scratching my head right now.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Re: Royal Wedding Oriental Poppy

Postby Eeyore » Jul 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I have this poppy but it is only in it's second year so I can't comment much however I was of the opinion that all Oriental Poppies dry up faily quickly after blooming. Am I wrong about that?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby maryjanej » Jul 16, 2012 1:53 am

I have a red Oriental poppy and yes it seems like after they're done blooming they do dry-up very quickly.
Mary-Jane
maryjanej

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 16, 2012 9:00 am

Oh yes, I agree, Oriental poppies dry up fast after they bloom. This one didn't even bloom, just dried up. Im still watering both of them and hoping they come back. Thanks for answering.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby Eeyore » Jul 16, 2012 10:34 am

Oh, I see. hopefully it will come back but if not I can send you some seed. I have to collect seed for another friend so it's not a problem to send you some at all. :P
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the offer, if it doesn't survive, I'll go to Superstore next Spring and buy some more plants. They only cost 2.99 a piece. I truly appreciate the offer.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Return to Plant Talk