Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Bees

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Bees

Postby styric » Jul 16, 2012 11:58 am

Last year I had a pollinator problem, I got about one pumpkin, only a couple squash and had to hand pollinate my tomatoes. I was very unhappy about it, so started picking up discounted pollinator attractors last fall and this spring.

Success! I walked out to find SEVEN bees arguing over my Therese Bugnet and lilies, and butterflies all over the delphinium. My tomatoes are pollinating themselves finally. I haven't seen more than a singleton bee at any given time since I moved in.

I admit, I almost teared up.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Re: Bees

Postby Mygrandmeresgarden » Jul 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Success! Absolutely wonderful! I have also seen Mason Bee houses for sale at the local hardware store...maybe that would also be an option for you? I have to admit, I don't know much about them.
Mygrandmeresgarden

Postby CdnChelsea » Jul 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Wonderful news!!!

I too noticed a decline in our bees and butterflies until I started to grow more native plants.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth
are never alone or weary of life" ~ Rachel Carson
CdnChelsea

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 17, 2012 9:52 am

styric wrote:Last year I had a pollinator problem, I got about one pumpkin, only a couple squash and had to hand pollinate my tomatoes. I was very unhappy about it,......

That is an alarming situation. Glad you found a solution.

Following Cda Chelsea's observation, I wonder how big a difference native plants make in attracting the right kinds of bees for vegetable/fruit production. Don't know but do wonder.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby styric » Jul 17, 2012 1:54 pm

I've been planting a mix of native and non native. We have a native prairie stand at the local farmer's market, and I've been erm.. collecting... some of the more interesting species from the railway ditch like Dog Roses, some butterfly delphinium, campanula (yes I know it goes nuts, I have the room for it where I put it) and am looking at some more native wildflowers.

I also picked up a bunch of roses on insane discount. I managed to nurse three of them to health, one died and one is six inches high with two large roses sitting directly on top of it :lol: The bees really like my Moondance and the Bugnet.

I planted a honeysuckle on the shed which bloomed, lilies and daylilies around my squash. Rudbeckia, pineapple mint, and shasta daisies in a spot beside my raised tomato bed. I'm eyeing up a Quickfire hydrangea and a Smoke bush.

My lavender ALL died last winter, the mulch was contaminated, so I replanted it all. Usually I've got bees going nuts over it so hopefully they bloom. A whole bed of lavender is like bee/butterfly paradise.
The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
styric

Postby A Closet Canuck » Jul 17, 2012 6:55 pm

styric wrote:I've been planting a mix of native and non native. We have a native prairie stand at the local farmer's market, and I've been erm.. collecting... some of the more interesting species from the railway ditch like Dog Roses, some butterfly delphinium, campanula (yes I know it goes nuts, I have the room for it where I put it) and am looking at some more native wildflowers........

Ah, "plant diving". One of the joys of gardening. Sorry to hear about your lavender but that is the nature of the beast. Hope your new planting works out well.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk