Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

My poor butterfly bushes!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

My poor butterfly bushes!

Postby leapyear56 » Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I have 3 butterfly bushes that I planted last summer that look worse then Charlie Browns Christmas tree. I have had success with others that I planted years ago that grew and grew nicely every year until we had a mild winter and they didn't come back that spring and it wasn't this past year. I ended up pulling them out sadly. I waited about a year before I planted these new ones last summer and they seemed to like their spots. Come spring this year they all had wonky branches coming from the root and after talking to the nursery people they said to cut off the wonky limbs and see how it did. I've noticed a lot of damage done to most of the leaves and buds and the one has mostly dead leaves from the grown up to about 2 feet from the base. I can't see any signs of bugs or anything. Has anyone else had this problem and could shed some light on it for me. I really don't want to yank them out.
MJ
This is really the cat's house. We just pay the mortgage.
If there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor, a cat will find it and soak it all up!
leapyear56

Re: My poor butterfly bushes!

Postby bluebird » Jul 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi MJ and I feel your pain! Butterfly bushes are such a great addition to the garden.

One of my butterfly bushes was being eaten alive with the leaves turning to rags and lace. I couldn't find any sign of what was doing it...until I went out at night with a flashlight. Earwigs...hundreds of the little creepys!!

Here's what I did and it worked like a charm. I cut off some sections of an old garden hose..about a foot or so...and dampened the insides with water. Then I lay the garden hose sections around the base of the butterfly bush. The next morning I went out with a bucket of hot soapy water and dropped the hose bits into it.

Well I am not kidding. The first time there were at least 100 dead floating earwigs. The next day around 50 more and over the next few days the total was about 300! eek.

Needless to say my butterfly bush is now saved and is flowering nicely and being visited by lots of butterflies and hummers.

Just a thought to try in case this is what is happening to yours too. Good luck!
bluebird

Re: My poor butterfly bushes!

Postby Heidi S » Jul 28, 2012 1:51 am

EEEWWW!

nuf said...
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Plant Talk