Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Coneflower

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Coneflower

Postby Linda B » Jul 31, 2012 7:01 am

I bought 3 coneflowers on the weekend and planted them. When I checked on them last night the flower heads were on the ground. Something seems to have chewed beneath the flower and popped it off. The plants were very healthy, strong stems, etc. when I bought them. So any idea what bug did that ? I have never seen that. I have other coneflowers in the garden that this did not happen to.
Linda B

Re: Coneflower

Postby Linda B » Aug 01, 2012 9:48 am

I have taken pics to show the problem. Any thoughts ?
Attachments
2012-07-31 19.55.39.jpg
2012-07-31 19.54.47.jpg
Linda B

Re: Coneflower

Postby Jude Levett » Aug 01, 2012 3:38 pm

Any number of things ... I have rabbits, mice and chipmunks who all chew on my plants including my coneflowers ... dratted things ... just can't get rid of them ... the critters ... not the coneflowers! I have watched the chipmunks actually pull down a complete branch of my bachelor's buttons, chew off the flower head and take off as fast as their little legs will carry them, bud in mouth, thumbing their noses at me! I did not believe it until I saw it and I think animals have learned how to get to the top juicy tips of flowering perennials!

You can spray for rabbits but I found after a few sprays it was not doing the plant any good although the rabbits and mice did stay away but you have to keep spraying after it rains which is not a problem this year 'cause we ain't had any so to speak!
Jude Levett

Return to Plant Talk