Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Japanese Beetle

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Japanese Beetle

Postby ben01 » Aug 06, 2012 10:21 pm

I finally id'd the beetles that are riddling my fruit trees: Japanese Beetle.

Before I had id'd them, I went to a near-by garden centre and they sold me "Spiderban" and told me I could spray it anywhere and it would kill anything. It wasn't until I got it home that I realized it was a spider-specific pesiticide.

Does anyone know if I got duped or if Spiderban is effective on other bugs? ANything else that eradicates Japanese Beetle? I have a dormant spray kit which I will use at the appropriate time; any comments with respect to that?

Thanks!

P.S. I hate Japanese Beetles
ben01

Re: Japanese Beetle

Postby Jersm » Aug 06, 2012 11:13 pm

I just did a quick google search on it and if its this product
http://www.homescents.co.uk/PBSCProduct ... ID=9810191

its main ingredient is a specific oil that spiders apparantly do not like so they run away or wont make webs in the sprayed areas.

it doesn't even kill spiders so i doubt it will kill beetles.... unless you crush them with the bottle itself.
Jersm

Re: Japanese Beetle

Postby kelly_m » Aug 07, 2012 9:40 am

LOL!!

One of the most effective ways to get rid of those pesky hard shelled Japanese beetles (other than squashing them with a spider ban bottle) is a Japanese beetle trap. You place them in the vicinity ( not right up close) to the affected plants. it uses pheremones top attract them, then they fly straight into the bag and never come out! Great invention, and nontoxic!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Plant Talk